News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Jordanian Something or other?

Chris

Sorry about your African misadventure. This is a troublesome continent. Did the confiscated medals include any awarded for service in the Korean War? Such medals are VERY desirable, at least to someone who shares my interest in this war.

Regards

Brett

Chris

Sorry about your African misadventure. This is a troublesome continent. Did the confiscated medals include any awarded for service in the Korean War? Such medals are VERY desirable, at least to someone who shares my interest in this war.

Regards

Brett

No, there was just a Congo one... but that was bad enough :-(

Hi,

I picked this up in Ethiopia... I assume Jordanian?

Chris

That is a very beautiful Medal would love to see an image of the reverse posted.

Thank you

Lorenzo

• 2 months later...

As I say in my ebay auctions under the same name, Jah-Jim, "Due to a new export regulation that came into effect in October, 2005, the export of all Haile Selassie items from Ethiopia is prohibited for the reason that all Haile Selassie era items were severely depleted and local collectors successfully lobbied the government to ban the export of these items."

• 9 months later...

Chris

Regards

Brett

I picked up an Ethiopian Korean War UN medal (amongst other things) in Addis this weekend for about £5 Sterling. I was worried about the customs people at the airport who I had been warned were a bit arbitrary. One friend had a modern silver cross taken from him because it was an "Ethiopian design". In the end I had no problems and now wish that I had bought more.

Tim,

Your successor in Riyadh is just back from Addis and advises that there was quite a bit for sale but as he is not a collector so he did not buy anything and was also concerned about the ban on the export of militaria, etc. A German friend who has an Ethiopian frau notes that for some time there has been difficulty in bringing out any sort of collectible items but as a diplomat he has been able to side step such problems. Perhaps the key to success is to pack items in your hold luggage and not hand luggage. (On my most recent trip to Sana'a some 18months ago all bags were x-rayed and contents inspected.) For those who are interested in Ethiopian medals there is quite a bit for sale by the various dealers and auction houses in Europe. After the Derg was kicked out there was a rush of Ethiopian items onto the market. Items marked "Made by Sevadjian" may have come from a raided or disposed of stock in Addis. Don't forget that all of the Ethiopian orders and some of the medals have been manufactured in Europe - e.g. Mappin & Webb, Bertrand, and others. Items are also available our of Addis by variosu R-Bay vendors - the one I have used have been reliable.

Kind regards and to quote you, "Wales No 1 - I love you long time!"

Owain