News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE SOVIET QUIZ - 2011 - QUIZ CLOSED

• Replies 1.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go...

Question:

I wrote about myself: “I was born in Camp of Buddha practicing Mongolian nomads, in dessert…”

But I am not Mongolian.

Number 317 is important to me and one of the most famous Russians (in my, UB6365, opinion the one from top 10 of all the times).

I served army duty as a private.

I am a chairman of… something really big.

In some ways I connected with Ivan the Terrible.

I worked in Persia as a part of Persian Red Army.

Who am I?

Edited by ub6365

Yes - as long as the person asking the question confirms the point keep it going!!!

I just report the scores!!!

19 points - JimZ

15 points - Harvey

10 points - Hauptmann

5 points - Gunner 1

5 points - Christophe

3 points - Valter

3 points - UB6365

2 points - kapten_windu

1 point - Tachel

The next question ......is already under way..... !!! (see post 654)

Jim :cheers:

This was not an easy one.... I think I got it thanks to ub6365 's hints...

He is Velimir Khlebnikov, writer and poet.

From Wikipedia :

"Velimir Khlebnikov (Russian: Велими́р Хле́бников; first name also spelled Velemir; last name also spelled Chlebnikov, Hlebnikov, Xlebnikov), pseudonym of Viktor Vladimirovich Khlebnikov (9 November 1885 (28 October 1885 (O.S) – 28 June 1922), was a central part of the Russian Futurist movement, but his work and influence stretch far beyond it.

Khlebnikov belonged to Hylaea, the most significant Russian Futurist group, (along with Vladimir Mayakovsky, Aleksei Kruchenykh, David Burliuk, and Benedikt Livshits), but had already written many significant poems before the Futurist movement in Russia had taken shape. Among his contemporaries, he was regarded as "a poet's poet" (Mayakovsky referred to him as a "poet for producers") and a maverick genius.

Khlebnikov is known for poems such as "Incantation by Laughter", "Bobeobi Sang The Lips", “The Grasshopper” (all 1908-9), “Snake Train” (1910), the prologue to the Futurist opera Victory over the Sun (1913), dramatic works such as “Death’s Mistake” (1915), prose works such as “Ka” (1915), and the so-called ‘super-tale’ (сверхповесть) “Zangezi”, a sort of ecstatic drama written partly in invented languages of gods and birds.

In his work, Khlebnikov experimented with the Russian language, drawing upon its roots to invent huge numbers of neologisms, and finding significance in the shapes and sounds of individual letters of the Cyrillic alphabet. Along with Kruchenykh, he originated zaum.

He wrote futurological essays about such things as the possible evolution of mass communication ("The Radio of the Future") and transportation and housing ("Ourselves and Our Buildings"). He described a world in which people live and travel about in mobile glass cubicles that can attach themselves to skyscraper-like frameworks, and in which all human knowledge can be disseminated to the world by radio and displayed automatically on giant book-like displays at streetcorners.

In his last years, Khlebnikov became fascinated by Slavic mythology and Pythagorean numerology, and drew up long "Tables of Destiny" decomposing historical intervals and dates into functions of the numbers 2 and 3.

Khlebnikov died of paralysis while a guest in the house of his friend Pyotr Miturich near Krestty.

A minor planet 3112 Velimir discovered by Soviet astronomer Nikolai Stepanovich Chernykh in 1977 is named after him."

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

I wrote about myself: “I was born in Camp of Buddha practicing Mongolian nomads, in dessert…” But not in Mongolia, In Kalmykia, part of Russian Empire.

But I am not Mongolian. I am Russian.

Number 317 is important to me and one of the most famous Russians (top 10). I discovered connections between number 317 and life of Pushkin A.S. the most famous Russian writer.

I served army duty as a private. In 1916-1917

I am a chairman of… something really big. I am “Chairman of the World”.

There are some connections with Ivan the Terrible. My friend Phillip Philonov painted my portrait of "Velimir Ivan the Terrible",

I worked in Persia as a part of Persian Red Army. In 1921

Hint #1

I was a winner, later I became a big world. My first name was Victor (Winner), later I changed it to Velimir (Big World in old slavenian)

Hint #2 I studied in Kazan University. In 1903

Hint #3: I died and after 38 years the remains were reburied at the Novodevichje Cemetery in Moscow. May be the most famous Cemetery in Russia.

Hint #4 I mixed Ganges and Zambezi. So I create word ZANGEZI, by the way it is name of one of my novels.

Hint #5: My friends elected me as a "King of the Time".

My Name is Velimir/ Victor Khlebnikov-Zangezi

Edited by ub6365

Question 64 :

Who am I ?

My death is linked to a tragedy.

This tragedy occured while I was pushing and experimenting a theory aiming to fight against the USA.

But, the real reason of my death has been hidden for a long time...

My tomb is in the Kremlin Wall Necropolis.

So...

1. Who am I ?

2. What was the theory I was pushing and experimenting when the tragedy took place ?

3. What happened really, where and when ?

4. What was the official version of my death ?

Good hunt and good luck !! :whistle:

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Founder of Strategic Missile Forces of SU.

Nedelin was killed in a test rocket explosion on October 24, 1960 at Baikonur Cosmodrome along with approximately 120 other victims in an incident that became known as the Nedelin catastrophe. The tragedy was covered up by the Soviet authorities, with details only emerging in the 1990s. Until then, Nedelin's death was officially listed as having occurred in a plane crash.

Nedelin's tomb is in the Kremlin Wall Necropolis at Red Square in Moscow.

Unfortunately, Google Image search makes it very easy to search pictures...

Hi ub6365, your answer is correct. Congratulations !!! :jumping: :jumping: You're the winner !!!

Your turn, now...

Cheers.

Ch.

PS : About the images : I did not know that such a function exists with Google Image Search... Sorry for making this one so "easy"... ;)

To update the scores

19 points - JimZ

15 points - Harvey

10 points - Hauptmann

6 points - Christophe

5 points - Gunner 1

4 points - UB6365

3 points - Valter

2 points - kapten_windu

1 point - Tachel

Both Christophe and UB6365 are each up by one point since the last score update. Also each is up by one place in the overall classification!! Well done to both.

Question 65 is next and it will belong to UB6365!

Question #65. Easy one

I am member of the Order of the Garter.

I also received the Order of the White Eagle

Of course you can find easy my name, but the question is:

What is my biggest contribution to Russian science?

Edited by ub6365

Hi UB6365,

I am baffled by this question although I am sure there is a logical explanation. I know that order of the Garter is the most exclusive club but there seem to be no "soviet" recipients. Of course there are a couple of royals hailing from Romania and Yugoslavia and I am not sure if the reply may lie in these others. However, if I had to give a name it would be Grand Duke Michael Alexandrovich of Russia, recipient of all above and other awards....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_II_of_Russia

What was his biggest contribution to science - beats me! I am not even sure I am looking at the right person. He also hardly qualifies as a soviet were it not for the fact that he was murdered in 1918.

Perhaps I'm on a wild goose chase.....