News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE SOVIET QUIZ - 2011 - QUIZ CLOSED

Tnx Gunner,

Question # 71.

I am not a Texas.

I am not a California.

I am a sign.

The locals called me "Camping in Afghanistan".

The unit I belong accomplished its mission in 1994.

Please show me myself.

Edited by ub6365

• Replies 1.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scoreboard update!

19 points - JimZ

15 points - Harvey

10 points - Hauptmann

8 points - Christophe

7 points - UB6365

6 points - Gunner 1

3 points - Valter

2 points - kapten_windu

1 point - Tachel

Question 71 presently open - see post 776.
    :beer:

No Christophe,

Speedytop was following up on the previous question.

Looks like we've tripped up again.

Lets wait for UB6365 to come back to us with some hints and hopefully, things will get back to their regular flow.

Jim :cheers:

Lets me summarize all information:

1. I am a sign or symbol.

(I am not a Texas.

I am not a California.

The locals called me "Camping in Afghanistan".)

2. I am symbol/sign of military unit.

(The unit I belong accomplished its mission in 1994. I am the emblem of biggest strategic military unit in SU. My unit was a biggest nightmare for NATO. My first commander was Marshal G.K.Zhukov.)

I give up! When is a flag not a sign of a unit? Did you mean insignia or patch? Language problems in this quiz have in my estimation ruined it - if one wants a very precise answer then one needs to be very precise in the question. One can not ask a general question and expect precision in the answer. The words 'sign' and 'emblem' are not precise terms! I am done with this quiz and off to something that is less stressful and more fun. It has been interesting. Gunner 1

Edited by Gunner 1

Yeah, I think I'm with Gunner on this - the recent series of questions have become so obtuse and confusing that it's no longer enjoyable for me either. For instance - on this last question - what did California, Texas or Afghanistan have to do with the answer? Nothing! This has gotten bogged down to thempoint where it takes numerous "hints" over many days just to get in the ballpark. Not fun.

ub6365 sent me a private message with the answer to the question (after my last post above) which is the insignia he posted in his last post. It is actually from what appears to be a Dutch website (in Dutch) at: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand:BSSD.PNG Evidently the reference to Texas refers to the 'star' in the insignia and the reference to California refers to the letters 'CA'. I am guessing that the 'Camping in Afghanistan' is also in reference to the letters "CA" which is interesting as 'C' in Russian is actually an 'S' in English. As I do not read Dutch I have no idea whether the 'sign'/'emblem' that ub6369 posted is a shoulder patch, vehicle marking, or what?

Regards, Gunner 1

Guys,

I have had a word with UB and have explained to him that the quesions and hints are way to cryptic, and we are risking having players losing interest in the quiz.

The idea of the quiz is to keep things moving, having ideally a new question or even two per day. This keeps us coming back for more.

I have also explained that tough questions kill the quiz as members simply lose interest and drop out.

The game is all about answering as many questions rather than asking tough questions, and in a way, each one of us should be trying to get out of asking the question so that we can answer the next one.

Agreed, the last few questions have been tough. I have asked UB6365 to look at some of the earlier questions to get a feel of the style and I am sure, his next challenges will be less complicated.

So lets press the reset button and try to get things onto the right track.

May I thank you all for playing so far....the quiz is dead without your feedback so every player is greatly appreciated as it keeps things alive!!!

Christophe - as you are the daddy of the quiz is there anything else that you might like to add?

I will wait for Christophe's feed back.....

....since the last question went unanswered, I will set things in motion again with a new question myself - Points will remain unchanged as per the last update.....

Christophe - as you are the daddy of the quiz is there anything else that you might like to add?

Jim,

Nothing to add. :)

We already talked about the situation by PM.

I would like to thank you again for reviving the Quiz, and taking care of it... It is your baby as well !! :))

Let's press the reset button and go ahead !!

I think, if UB6365 agrees, that the point should go to Gunner1, for him to propose the next challenge... Correct ?

Cheers.

Ch.

I will wait for Christophe's feed back.....

....since the last question went unanswered, I will set things in motion again with a new question myself - Points will remain unchanged as per the last update.....

Sorry Jim, I posted my message before I can read yours about the "point"... Up to you...

Cheers.

Ch.