News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Major General Romeo Dallaire UNAMIR 1994 1/5 scale bust

ColinRF

I have long wanted to sculpt a tribute bust to Romeo Dallaire, the Canadian general who commanded the UN forces in Rwanda in 1994 during the genocide. When ordered to leave as the wheels came off his mission, Dallaire and his second in command from Ghana told Kofi Anan to "go to hell" and they stayed on with a rag tag force of Africans. They probably saved 25,000 to 30,000 souls.

The model is in progress. Its sculpted in super sculpey firm, primarily with sculpey dilutant and brushes after the planes of the model were established with an exacto blade and colour shaper rubber tipped "brushes."

Once he is done I will paint him in acrylics.

Colin

Edited by ColinRF

Nice one ColinRF :jumping:

I too have great admiration for the man, he really told it like it was,

much to the dismay of the "politicos" at UNHQ Security Council.

He was warning for months of the planned "genocide" based upon

the huge amounts of machetes he saw being stored around the country

and his local intelligence network.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Thanks gents....I have been immersing myself in Rwanda 1994 and its a depressing but at the same time uplifting experience, even as a bystander. I just reread Shake Hands With the Devil and watched the feature and doc of the same name. I also read a few other works. Best of all is the 2004 PBS Frontline doc Ghosts of Rwanda.

If the bust turns out well I may cast him in resin and send a copy to General Dallaire. I'M not sure how he'd react though as he hates the hero tag. I would like his signature for my collection too so thanks for the heads up Michael.

I will post progress here as I move forward.

Thanks for your interest.

Colin

Edited by ColinRF

• 2 weeks later...

Neat. I envy you Frank.

I would really like to meet him as I have been an admirer since I heard him on "As it Happens" reporting from Kigali weekly in '94. After viewing "The Last Just Man," "Ghosts of Rwanda" and the two "Shake Hands with the Devil" films, my admiration only increased. And then there is Carol Off's book that lionizes Dallaire at Lew McKenzie's expense.

Thanks for the comments on the bust....still a long way to go on it.

Colin

Neat. I envy you Frank.

I would really like to meet him as I have been an admirer since I heard him on "As it Happens" reporting from Kigali weekly in '94. After viewing "The Last Just Man," "Ghosts of Rwanda" and the two "Shake Hands with the Devil" films, my admiration only increased. And then there is Carol Off's book that lionizes Dallaire at Lew McKenzie's expense.

Thanks for the comments on the bust....still a long way to go on it.

Colin

Once your bust is finished, send him pics and include your address, he'll probably stop by when/if in the area. He's a really easy man to talk to.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Chris, I checked his actual eye colour by taking a screen capture from the "Shake Hands with the Devil" documentary film and blowing it up. For modern figures, colour videos, news clips and documentaries are great resources. The difficulty in doing WWII or earlier portraits is that eye and hair colour are not always immediately apparent. Then its guessing time unless one can talk to a descendent or find the detail in a bio.

But his eyes are too blue. Dallaire has grey-blue eyes so I need to tone them down a bit with glazes./washes.

Thanks

Colin

Edited by ColinRF

• 3 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...