News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What bars (SWA) were awarded to the landing party S.M.S. Habicht

Not all Südwestafrika-Denkmünzen were awarded with Gefechtsspangen but I would agree that HEREROLAND would be appropriate for the men of the SMS Habicht. I don't think any others would have been awarded for the crew.

Here is a map of the actions of the Habicht landing-party.

Edited by Naxos

Sorry for my question but why are you thinking that this a "Habicht-medal bar"? Do you have some papers?

The Habicht-crew had normally the clasp HEREROLAND but some crew-members wore some more clasps.

Furthermore the battle clasps were never awarded!

Here some pictures of my collection

I can not verify the medal bar (only that is what was awarded) to Ober Maschinisten (Chief Machinist mate), honorary Lieutenant a. D. Paul Hochstein. I have bought his Imperial and Third Reich military pass books and a retirement document. His book lists the South West Africa medal in bronze. I have not verified him as part of the landing party yet. I am trying to work on that (any help would be appreciated). He served on S.M.S. Habicht 3/11/1903 to 2/11/1904. Great photos - Cheers Captain Albert

Edited by army historian

Very interesting estate then. Congratulates :)

But I don´t think that Obermaschinist Paul Hochstein was part of the landing party. The engineer/ maschinist had to stay in Swakopmund. There they had to work in the job shop for reconstruct the trains. Some heater manned the locomotives because the available railway staff didn´t suffice.

Best wishes

Karsten

Thank you guys - that is very interesting and helpful. Still very nice even if he was not with the landing party, only working on the trains. But that still leaves the question: was he authorized the "Hereroland" bar? Karsten you have a nice collection of "Habicht" material - lots of photos. Hochstein's Third Reich pass book has a photo of him (age 64), maybe we can find him in your photos. Again thank you both. Cheers Captain Albert

But that still leaves the question: was he authorized the "Hereroland" bar?

The answer is Yes.

Since he was awarded the SWA medal in bronze (meaning as a combatant) and the Habicht was directly involved with the Herero uprising he could add the HEREROLAND bar to his medal. Like Karsten said, the bars were not awarded but could be bought privately by individuals to add to their medal.

Edited by Naxos

Hello Albert,

sorry for my late reply. I don´t think so that we can find your guy in my little photo collection. I have only these two photos which shows Habicht-veterans and nobody of them seems to be Obermaschinist Paul Hochstein.

Futhermore I have the estate of Oblt. zur See Hermann who was part of the landing party and who took part on the (well-known) battle of OWIKOKORERO. But there are no pictures of the gunboat Habicht and their crew, unfortunately.

I will post some pictures here.

At first Friedrich Hermann after the WW1. With the ribbon bar on his chest. There you can see the miniature-clasp HEREROLAND

the PRE-1918 ribbon bar, with the following orders:

Iron Cross II (27.January 1915)

Crown Order IV. with swords (11.August 1904)

the prussian lifesaving medal (12.July 1908)

South west africa commemorative medal with miniature clasp Hereroland (23. August 1907)

A very interesting photo which shows the survivors of the battle of OWIKOKORERO!! During this famous battle Oblt. zS Hermann was the chief of the maschine gun. On that photo you can see Oblt. zS Hermann seriously injured lying on the bed. On that group photo you can also see:

Leutnant and Adjutant Schäfer

Assistenzarzt Dr. Jansen

Freiwilliger Arzt Dr. Kräger

Stabsarzt Dr. Wiemann

Edited by Leutwein

And the certificate for the South west africa commemorative medal in bronze for fighters. Signed by von Heeringen, here you can find more about von Heeringen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_von_Heeringen

Unfortunately is only the certifiacte for Crown Order with swords missing :speechless: But I´m still looking for that certificate

Hope you´ll enjoy it

Best wishes

Karsten

Thanks Karsten, very nice photos and a fantastic "group" to Herrmann. I was checking the dates on the military pass book - and Paul Hoshstein served on the S.M.S. Habicht 3/11/03 to 2/11/04 so was not part of the landing party. Thank you very much for your help. Good luck with the missing certificates. Cheers Captain Albert

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Albert,

here is my newest arrival. An unknown Habicht-Veteran. He´s also a china-veteran like yours. It is interesting to see that a lot of Habicht-veterans served also in china during the boxer-rebellion.

Best wishes

Karsten

Edited by Leutwein