News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Thanks Gerd, it was far to early for me post a link to it :speechless:

BTW was the group resarched off the OGPW 1st Class :unsure:, can you resarch 1985 OGPW :unsure:

:ninja: Order of Victory :ninja:

This was researched over the unnumbered Military Merit Medal. Its possible to research them, if you have the ordersbook of the recipient. 1985 OGPW?s are unresearchable.

Gerd

What were the requirements to qualify for a OGPW 1985 award ? Was it awarded to all veterans still alive, those who had been wounded, those who had a bravery award or some other criteria ? I would be grateful if someone could explain it to me.

Paul

There was a good article on in in JOMSA a while back; let me dig that out. The "Red Bible" does a decent job with this, pp. 132-33.

Summary -- to surviving participants in GPW:

OPW1 -

--- HSUs

--- Cav. of Order of Glory

--- Marshals, generals & admirals

--- Awarded an order or a medal for bravery, ushakov, combat service, nakhimov, or partisan

--- Invalid wounded in combat

OPW2 -

--- Any other surviving veteran

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Ed,

Many thanks, I never noticed the entry in the Red Bible despite the fact that it should have been the most obvious place for me to look, duh ! I like the end note about "militant Japan", I'll see what happens if I use that line with my wife the next time I have a domestic argument !

Cheers,

Paul

There was a good article on in in JOMSA a while back; let me dig that out. The "Red Bible" does a decent job with this, pp. 132-33.

Summary -- to surviving participants in GPW:

OPW1 -

--- HSUs

--- Cav. of Order of Glory

--- Marshals, generals & admirals

--- Awarded an order or a medal for bravery, ushakov, combat service, nakhimov, or partisan

--- Invalid wounded in combat

OPW2 -

--- Any other surviving veteran

As can be imagined, there are plenty of exceptions to this rule. Most of the exceptions that I am aware of involve giving a 2nd Class to someone who deserved a 1st, but there may well have been exceptions going the other way around. I've owned several groups to very well decorated (for heroism) individuals (like one with RB, OGPW1, OGPW2, RS - all for combat) but who ended up with the lower end OGPW.

Dave