News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello everyone,

this was surprisingly in my mailbox this morning. Its a gift of one of our members here (Thanks again, you know who you are) and consists of an unnumbered Military Merit Medal with Document, awarded 15th of December 1951, probably a Long Service award and an 85 Issue OGPW 2nd class. I tried my best, but the name was not to translate for me so far except his first name Vasily. Any help is most appreciated.

Here is the OGPW document

That's a really interesting little group. My bet is that the MM is a delayed award for wounds, though at the same time it's probably a combined 10 year and "hey, he was wounded in the war and didn't get anything else" medal. This one would be interesting to research, I think.

Dave

That's a really interesting little group. My bet is that the MM is a delayed award for wounds, though at the same time it's probably a combined 10 year and "hey, he was wounded in the war and didn't get anything else" medal. This one would be interesting to research, I think.

Dave

Thanks, Dave. This can?t be a complete group, right? Shouldn?t there be at least a VoG or a Victorious Labor in GPW?

Gerd

Guest Rick Research

From the date, I think that is the mass bestowal of annual long service awards for the MMM ... and the OPW1 suggests he was a war invalid, by 1985.

The name is Vasily Mikhailovich Shtibel'.

From the date, I think that is the mass bestowal of annual long service awards for the MMM ... and the OPW1 suggests he was a war invalid, by 1985.

The name is Vasily Mikhailovich Shtibel'.

Thank you, Rick. :beer: Handwriting is not my thing, at least not yet, i hope.

Gerd

• 6 months later...

Dave

And, surprise, surprise, Dave was spot on: ;)

FINALLY an award for wounds! :cheeky:

Here is an overview of his citation , as far as i could translate it:

"Comrade Vasily Mikhailovich Shtibel?s participated in the partriotic war in the 330th Rifle Regiment of the 4th Ukrainian Front as a machine gunner. during the fightings on th 27th of January 1945 he was heavily wounded in the soft parts of his right and left shin. He was treated in Evacuation Hospital Nr. 5412 and was demobilized into the reserve after his recovery. He presently works as a senior-conductor in the railroads, he is honest....

Deserves to be awarded the "Medal for Bravery"

Guest Rick Research

Interesting to see it was put in for as a Valor Medal, bumped UP to a Glory 3rd, but then downplayed to a MMM.

:beer: AND the poor guy was employed on the Lvov region railways (have I posted my NKVD/MGB/KGB Lvov Railways Security Lt Col Grinenko's medals for there?)...

where he was just as likely to be wounded again by the "Western Ukrainian" resistance in 1949 as...

by the Germans during the war. :speechless1:

As a "Senior Conductor" around Uzhgorod (where his banker well may have been my Comrade Lastovka, small world) he was probably often at high risk of his trains being blown up.

No soft and cushy post-war for HIM!!!

Interesting to see it was put in for as a Valor Medal, bumped UP to a Glory 3rd, but then downplayed to a MMM.

:beer: AND the poor guy was employed on the Lvov region railways (have I posted my NKVD/MGB/KGB Lvov Railways Security Lt Col Grinenko's medals for there?)...

where he was just as likely to be wounded again by the "Western Ukrainian" resistance in 1949 as...

by the Germans during the war. :speechless1:

As a "Senior Conductor" around Uzhgorod (where his banker well may have been my Comrade Lastovka, small world) he was probably often at high risk of his trains being blown up.

No soft and cushy post-war for HIM!!!

Thanks so much, Rick. Great info, i didn?t even know about the Situation in Western Ukraine in 1949.

No, you haven?t posted Grinenko?s medals yet, as far as i can see. Please do so, when you find the time.

Thanks again

Gerd