News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown USSR Medal?

This is an example of an unofficial Soviet veteran's medal, manufactured as a fund raising item for a veterans' organization (it is not Umalatova nor is it CPRF). I believe I've seen this medal-type in, at least, 3 variations to cover different conflicts in which the Soviet Union was involved; Afghanistan, Angola, Viet Nam. This particular example is the Viet Nam variant, as indicated by the bar across the ribbon.

This medal is issued by the Committee about Public Awards (Комитет по общественным наградам), an unofficial organisation.

This is the Medal for Participation to Local Conflicts.

There are several bars : Vietnam - Afghanistan - Afghanistan - Tajikistan - Bangladdesh - Ethiopia - Syria - Algeria - Egypt...

I'm suprised to see "conflictds" in some of these countries...

Ch.

The only award I can think of is called "To a Warrior-Internationalist". It is described as an "Honorary Badge" and was primarily given for Afghanistan, although it may have been given for other later conflicts as well. It was not in existence at the time of Viet Nam. Here's an example from my collection:

Absolutely, Christophe, all the awards for deeds "above and beyond" applied to all conflicts. But this was all I could come up with for "in service in an area". When I was in the Navy (US), we had two such awards (I got both of them). One was the "Navy Expeditionary Medal" and the other was the "Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal". Both were for operating in an area of conflict (war zone) in which no other campaign medal applied (El Salvador, Grenada and Beirut, for example). The Navy medal was awarded when it was a purely naval event; the Armed Forces medal when all services got a piece of it.