News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My grandfather's WW2 Medal Group

Hi all,

Usually i'm more active over at the German forum, but i've been doing some research at home lately and found my grandfather's medals, as well as a set of miniatures also worn by him, and three medal bars of various sizes. The six medals that he had are the 1939-1945 star, the africa star, the italy star, the 1939-1945 war medal, the defence medal and the long service and good conduct medal. His ID number and name is only on the long service and good conduct medal. Apart from that, the only other outstanding feature is the bar on the africa star, which reads North Africa 1942-43. From what i've read this was awarded to the royal navy, air force and 18th army group headquarters. My grandfather was Maltese, and according to my father he enlisted in 1940 and fought in Sudan, Abyssinia, Eritrea, North Africa and Italy up to Caserta and Naples. I was wondering that if from his medals and this information any suggestions could be made to which regiment he was in. My father always says that he was in the royal air force, although he was definitely not a pilot. The bar on the africa star seems to support this. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and please see the pics below to see his medals.

Thank you very much,

Matthew

395745_278521955537137_100001380038399_7

401314_278522275537105_100001380038399_7

408130_278385992217400_100001380038399_7

383356_278386068884059_100001380038399_7

thank you for sharing your grandpas medals with us. its nice to see that there are people who take pride in the courage that runs in our families. here is a link i posted on another site about my grandfather and his awards. i had also recently found a scrap book he made about his army life. i will post it after i return from vacation.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114118&hl=

@ QSAMIKE: They are, but we think that his medal was awarded post war, as he stayed on in the army in the Royal Signals Regiment. Therefore it doesn't help me that much find out which war-time RAF regiment he was in.

@Paul R: The clasp, as already stated, is the North Africa 1942-43 clasp.

Regards,

Matthew

I'd wager your Granddad was either in RAF squadron 14 or 223 (probably 223)...maybe as grounds crew, but who knows? Given the defense medal I 'd wager big money that it was squadren 223. Any chance we can see his Name/number and look him up in Ancestry?

Yup- might work, but private researchers usually find out a lot more and there are squadren associations about. Do you have his pay book at all? Any snaps? the planes would tell us, but there were only 3 RAF (not SAAF) in Ethiopia and then to have a Defense medal AFTER he enlisted in 1941?...sniffs Malta service to me and 223 were there before they jumped off to Italy.