News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The poor KO EK1s.... :-(

I did it.... I went ahead and picked one up cheap....

Ages ago I got rid of the KO crosses, they were ugly... and I never wanted another one....

But I saw another ugly one, and because they are so comman, thought "hmmmmm.... probably many guys awarded one of these in the field got an ugly KO...."

Does anyone have a NICE looking KO??

• 6 months later...

The usual official issue crosses from 1914, 1915, 1916 are by WS, S-W, G, Fr., FR and so on, which are probably the well-known Berlin jewellers that were the only suppliers for EKs 1st class as long the GOK was responsible.

I have a soft spot for the "humble" KO. Funny things us collectors. I reckon that if they were less common we'd find more to love about them. I've owned a few stupidly rare crosses that I've lusted after for ages. Once in the hand I've found them quite ugly. Ratchet backs for example. So desirable but like a piece of rudimentary gynaecological equipment! (controversial?)

How many KO crosses we see were awarded in the field and worn in the field? That's the thing I love about crosses.