News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I saw this on the net, but the seller is uncertain of what it is. Any clues gents? 25 year service award? Would the bow indicate it is for a woman? Does 35 euros seem reasonable? I checked Medal/Medaille but they have no items from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha for me to check against.

How do you know, that it is from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha?

It is not for service, it is for membership! Für treue Mitgliedschaft > for loyal membership

And it is one the many hundred (thousand?) badges/crosses for membership in German veterans organizations or other clubs, e.g. sport clubs or allotment clubs. For men and for women.

Uwe

Saxe-Coburg-Gotha ... probably in view of the ribbon-colors: green + white ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flagge_Herzogtum_Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha_%281911-1920%29.svg

It could also be for one of the many shooting clubs in all German towns and municipalities, even in the smallest village.

They mostly had green/white ribbons, everywhere in Germany.

Ah ok ... learning never stops!

Thank you Uwe and Zorg for your thoughts. I thought it was Saxe-Coburg-Gotha because of the colours and the maker was from Coburg. Would shooting clubs have used the term 25 years loyal membership Uwe? I am no expert by any means, but that does sound like a veterans type term. I have that on a few of my veterans membership badges.

Hello guys,

The green and white ribbon colors, but especially the Coburg-based manufacturer would lead me to believe that this 25-year faithful membership medal was from the Duchy of Saxe-Coburg. For a piece such as this, wouldn't they use a local manufacturing firm? Seems logical to me. Looks like a nice medal, whatever it is.

Best regards,

Tom

Btw. the maker still exists. "Seit 1857 liefert Fahnen Koch in Coburg Fahnen und Vereinsbedarf." Since 1857 they make flags and other requisites for clubs etc.

Edited by zorg

The colours of the flag of Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha are green-white-green white.

It is definitely a common badge for different clubs, organizations etc.

"Would shooting clubs have used the term 25 years loyal membership Uwe?"

Yes! And the dog clubs, the bowling clubs, the allotment clubs, the choral societies, the societies for traditional costumes and so on and so on.

For shooting clubs please see here, choose Befestigungen in the right listing or take the complete link in a new tab:

http://www.steinlueck.de/schuetzen/unterrubrik.php?unterrubrik=52

Uwe

The colours of the flag of Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha are green-white-green white.

It is definitely a common badge for different clubs, organizations etc.

"Would shooting clubs have used the term 25 years loyal membership Uwe?"

Yes! And the dog clubs, the bowling clubs, the allotment clubs, the choral societies, the societies for traditional costumes and so on and so on.

For shooting clubs please see here, choose Befestigungen in the right listing or take the complete link in a new tab:

http://www.steinlueck.de/schuetzen/unterrubrik.php?unterrubrik=52

Uwe

Hi Uwe, I found this over at Kai Winkler, I actually have an identical example, but without ribbon, (I always wondered what sort of ribbon went on my shooting medal, I've had it for years), and it wasn't until you told me that the shooting clubs use green and white ribbon that I started to look out for it. I have learnt something else, thanks :)

Edited by Troy Tempest