News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Drawings

Spasm

Noel

Thanks very much - I wish I knew you then. When you next talk to Paul R can you say I'll get onto his photo soon. (Been playing with the bikes, sorry :blush: (I tend to flitter about as the interest takes me (In between going to work))) I have one medal bar picture to finish, Mervyn's policeman beating up a few robbers (I have the picture in my head, its just figuring how it should look) and his vet picture (trying to get photoshop to do what I'd like it to do rather than it doing what it wants to).

• 10 months later...

Gents and Gentesses

A couple of things I've been working on lately, thought I'd show before they go.

Crashed part of a Focke-Wulf 189A, an M16 helmet and a water bottle found in Flanders (with part of the M35 helmet I'm working on now).

Edited by Spasm

We've said it before - brilliant artwork and a great idea putting them on old relics. This must make them a valuable item ?

I think I've spotted the 'pawprint' - right tail on the plane - on the tank under the first gun - no idea on the last one ?

We have a 'biggie' in the June/July Competition - if we can afford it one of these would make a wonderful prize. I'll try and

find a base suitable for a small painting and will talk to you about it in the next month. Best wishes Mervyn

Mervyn

Well spotted and thanks. The pawprint is 'round the corner' on the bottle so you wouldn't have seen it. Good idea for the prize - how about I donate the water bottle?

Here's a couple of other things that have kept me occupied

:jumping: GORGEOUS!! :jumping: OUTSTANDING WORK! :jumping:

Even the most stubborn conservative collectors proning "don't change anything on a relic" would have to admit your art work on these items is simply stunning! I've seen very crude and even clumsy attempts at using military/war relics as art or part of art, but you are the first that has managed to make me smile from ear to ear and keep repeating "brilliant! Absolutely brilliant!" You manage to retain the basic essence of the item and to devellop the idea by adding related accessories painted/drawn on vice having them by the main piece... I'm at a loss to find a proper description... "Single piece dioramas..."

Marvelous!! Keep them coming! They are worth being put on show in a major gallery!

Frank

Thanks again for that. I only use repro helmets or relics that would probably rust away in someones shed. Hopefully the artwork will keep them alive for a bit longer in someones collection. They sell for miles less than an original so they are a cheap way to get something sort of authentic. I usually get around £70 - £100 for each one, not a lot considering the time spent but I enjoy the practise and they are getting better. The money goes into my militaria fund :)

Just got hold of an M1 American that was picked up on Peliliu beach about 20 years ago. That's gonna get some serious art on it.

This is how they usually look when I've cleaned them prior to filling, sanding, etc etc.

I'm glad you enjoy them

Edited by Spasm

Steve - on behalf of GMIC I will immediately accept your kind and generous offer of the painted waterbottle. This will make

a wonderful 1st. prize and I am sure will encourage many entries. For the present please hold on to it - after the Comp. has

been judged, I will pay for the despatch to the winner.

Slight change of pace - I have a nice WW2 Sth. African light tan painted desert British pattern tin helmet. This would make a

good subject with the North Africa campaign covering so many areas. I will be happy to send it to you - please let me have your

address - although, I think it is on file.

Once again - thankyou for the generous gift for the Forum. Mervyn

Mervyn

Water Bottle will be kept on the shelf awaiting winner, or second, or whomsoever. You never know, that SA one may become one. Tobruk, El Alamein, Kasserine, Eighth Army, I need to do some research.

Will PM address.

Thanks Mervyn and All. I hope whoever gets the bottle enjoys it.

Fame at last :cool: This time next year......

Spaz

Steve - the helmet for SA Forces with a tan colour. I had forgotten that it had been sold. However, two came in this morning

and I will despatch one early next week. A little rust - if you need to re-spray please let me know, I will pay for the tin. Mervyn

Mervyn

Thanks again for that, looking forward to see what you send. No rush, I've a few things lined up to get on with. No worries on the rust or the can of spray, my helmets don't get the rattle can treatment as They need to be protected and look as original as possible so that they can live on a bit. Some buyers have been surprised that I totally redo the whole thing and build/paint in the old used and worn look complete with overpainting, paint chips, rust and a kicked around look (which isn't done by kicking it around - I wish it was). Actually, the overall finish of the helmets take a lot longer than the applied designs.

For those that may be interested here's what a helmet goes through once it's been cleaned (that normally takes a large screwdriver to remove an inch of Normandy/Begium/Latvian/Italian/Far Eastern mud and rusted in roots and parts of liners). I carefully check for any remains of decals on the helmets. If there are any (I've only found one so far) they are preserved and kept within the overall design. Then an hour or so of rust removal with a lot of mess to clear up afterwards. Along with varying sizes of plasters to stick on fingers.

I then am happy to end up with something like this:

This one is an M42 that came to me covered in some sort of bitumen and had been used as a bucket on a farm. Plenty of chemicals used to get off (paint stripper) and plenty of elbow grease and censored language that had the neighbours commenting. No real large holes though so no need for glass fibre and resin fills that the holey ones have to have. Sometimes I leave the holes to aid the old and used look I'm looking for.

Edited by Spasm

The helmet is then sanded down to metal and any holes filled as in the first picture.

Sanded down again to the finish required, note how I've left most of the rust indents to keep the aged look. Then several coats of rust protection is applied both inside and out.

Then a primer coat is applied, resanded and reprimed where needed.

Then, depending on the final design and appearance wanted, I draw on the designs of helmet decals (I don't apply any bought stickers,transfers or decals - all are drawn and painted to the actual sizes of decals) and pictures.

Mask those off and apply a rough finish to the helmet (again depends on the helmet and final look that's required)

Edited by Spasm

The masking is removed. Edges are sanded down and the overall helmet is sanded, scuffed, rubbed etc to get the finish wanted (I have to hold myself back on this as I have been known to get a bit carried away at this stage and totally overdo it, less is more here).

Then apply a base thin dark coat to flow and stay in the holes, scratches etc that will show through the lighter top coats. This first coat needs to be very dark, no point in playing with feldgrau or greens here.

Then it's just a matter of painting on the designs and another layer of protection. And trying to get the finished look ok across the whole of the helmet so it all blends in. Lots of airbrushing, blending and use of colour to build up the look while maintaining a strong image on the decals and designs. Takes ages (this one isn't too difficult as it's mostly grey/blue/green/white mixes but some helmets using field greens can take forever to get the look just right).

Here's both sides of the finished helmet. It was to commemorate the Ostmedialle (you can just make out the medal details on the front and rear of the helmet) so a build up from dark at the bottom to white at the top so as to appear that the helmet was actually frozen didn't come out too bad. Hopefully the owner likes it.

Edited by Spasm

Didn't really like the cufftitle on the Kursk helmet so I've changed it. Much better :) Put a few kill stripes on the barrel as well.

Edited by Spasm

Been working on this one. Received from the other side of the pond a couple of weeks ago. It's an American front seam, swivel bales, stainless rimmed M1 made by Schlueter as it has an impressed S inside the front. The batch number is 303.

Found years and years ago on a Peleliu beach and stored in a garage until bought by a dealer. Was in a bit of a state but cleaned preserved and painted.

Edited by Spasm