News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Drawings

Spasm

Didn't realise the size of pictures I load in. When they are opened they are actually larger than the lifesize helmet (maybe thats different depending on your screen size).

It still needs a bit of work now that I look.

Edited by Spasm

It's the 1st, 5th and 7th Marine Regiments of the 1st Marine Division who landed on the Peleliu beach at 08.30 on 15 September 1944.

73 days later the island was declared secure (although some 35 Japanese held out in caves until 22 April 1947). The 1st Marine Division suffered over 6,500 casualties in their one month stay on Peleliu, over one third of the entire Division and remained out of action until 1 April 1945.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah well, that's a bit of a sore point with some on here. I promised Mervyn that I'd do some pictures for his Bobby Book and although I never promised I did try to do some photo stuff for Paul R. Both never materialised :blush: .

So I suppose it depends what it is. When I get the SA helmet from Mervyn I will do something on it along the lines of above (maybe he will give away as a prize along with the water bottle I've got on the shelf awaiting the winner).

Is it like a song request or an idea or something you'd like me to do for you. Ideas are good, something for you would be ok as long as its something I can do but a song is out of the question.

Spaz

Well... I thought of a Legionnaire... really heroic looking like... with south African accent... killing his way through a dozen badies, using a minigun, and half a dozen scantily clad wommen trying to rip his clothes of and distract him from the business of saving the trainload of orphans in the background.

I would like it really tastefully done and it has to fit on the sheath of a WW2 British Spike bayonet......

• 2 weeks later...

Chris - you're 'sick'................. Steve's art is not to be debased in this way.

The SA WW2 helmet was sent to you last week Steve - I hope it is useable. Our next competition will be in June and will be very special. I

have allowed for first prize of an engraved dish as 1st prize - and 2nd and 3rd to be the helmet and water bottle. This will be something quite

different and I don't think ever done a Forum before. We will submit the winning entries to appropriate newspapers and magazines and will

feature your art. I have to submit the plans to Nick and if he agrees will post details soon. Mervyn

No worries, Chris is only pullin' my plonker - we'll go for the cage fight in his trench when I get over there (if I can get through the barbed wire and pass the searchlights without being shot).

No helmet as yet, I'll let you know when it gets here. Once I start on it I may do a show and tell as it progresses if I remember to take some pictures.

Mervyn

When the helmet arrives I'll start a new thread in the GMIC Competition Forum to show all the work through to the finished piece. Now all I've got to do is think up an SA WW2 theme to base it on.

I was thinking about the Royal Natal Carabineers/1st SA Infantry Division's little fracas at Alem Hamza in June 1942 that led to Sgt Q. Smythe's VC. Nice Rgt colours and a VC to paint. Should I ask for ideas given the one already suggested?

Well, that was annoying.

This is a Zuckerman Civilian Fire Guard Helmet and I noticed that the holes (to take the liner) weren't level. On further investigation I found out that they were made this way to give the helmet a slope to protect the neck. Damn, I've painted the bloody thing round the wrong way. I assumed that the maker's stamp would be at the back :banger:

So, sand off, re-undercoat, and start again. That's 3 whole days wasted. Poo.

Edited by Spasm