News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Striped Tigers and their Marks

JapanX

I'll post some images in a couple of days.

Really should stop using this word :whistle:

Got same problem here http://gmic.co.uk/in...n-dermatin-box/

:lol:

Ok.

Boxes that glued over with something that should imitate leather (although usually it looks like color paper)

Cheers,

Nick

Dermatin was derived from the latin dermat which means skin, In this case it was a type of bird. Pheasants need to be skinned before eating. This skin was quite delicate and was made into a covering for containers that held jewelry, fine artifacts, and medals.

Richard

• Replies 237
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dermatin was derived from the latin dermat which means skin, In this case it was a type of bird. Pheasants need to be skinned before eating. This skin was quite delicate and was made into a covering for containers that held jewelry, fine artifacts, and medals.

Richard

I had to make certain that I said Pheasant and not peasant.

Dermatin was derived from the latin dermat which means skin ...

In turn dermas was derived from greek derma ;)

I had to make certain that I said Pheasant and not peasant.

Yep, these days cannibals are everywhere :whistle:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello I just acquired a Striped Tiger badge and wanted to get some more information about the markings on it and what they indicate. Any help here? Value?

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2012/post-14538-0-64426800-1349013483.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2012/post-14538-0-78045100-1349013484.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2012/post-14538-0-94996900-1349013485.jpg

You have a very nice Fifth Class (two stars on the medal) badge. The inscription on the case reads "Wu Deng Wen Hu Xun Zhang" or Fifth Class Striped Tiger Order.

Could you post an image of the maker's mark on the reverse of the badge? We will be able to tell you the maker.

It's a Lao Tian Di specimen. Very nice. It's in great condition other than missing the rosette.

A fourth or fifth class (can't remember which) sold at the recent FJP Auctions for around $3400 not taking into account sellers fee / buyers premium.

Seriously?!

Personally I think it is way too high :)

Cheers,

Nick

Next year, with the prices going the way they are, the only thing I can afford is a printout of the medal (and I usually print in B/W).

Remember everybody, auction prices are with people with a lot of money outbidding until they get tired of raising their paddles or those with over spending habits without budgets. Auctions also tend to charge about 10-30% fee to the seller and 10-30% to the bidder.

If there aren't any to bid on at auction

Next year, with the prices going the way they are, the only thing I can afford is a printout of the medal (and I usually print in B/W).

Remember everybody, auction prices are with people with a lot of money outbidding until they get tired of raising their paddles or those with over spending habits without budgets. Auctions also tend to charge about 10-30% fee to the seller and 10-30% to the bidder.

If there are none to bid on at auction, and none on eBay. None listed on the OMSA website, none listed on the GMIC website what do you imagine that does to the price/value/scarcity? I would say that a 5th Class Striped Tiger with case and acoutrements in excellent (very good to fine) condition, would be a bargain at $3,000.00. U.S. Occasionally you see some of these appear on the Japanese Yahoo auction sites however, in order to participate in the bidding you must have a blood relationship to a well known Samurai family, or a member of the royal household.The bottom line is that they are scarce! I am

not certain if the People's Republic of China considers these as National Treasures but it is a cinch that Under Chairman Mao and the Red Guard, these would be symbols of a bourgeois society and destroyed {along with Mah Johng sets. The bottom line gentlemen is . . . . availability! I must admit that I am a long time lover of the striped Tiger and especially the specimens turned out by the cloisonne masters Lao Tien Li and Yung Zeng who layered the enamels heavily into the cloisons seperated by a band of gold or silver, or even an edge of a brass strip to the point that you could rub your fingers over the tiger and feel the depth and dimension of his ears, his tail, and his proud chest. Once you have done that, you fall in love with the Tiger.

Richard

Actually safety pin :)

Ooops, you're quite right! I had Japanese / Manchukuo Orders in mind at the time.

From what I understand, Chinese laws prohibiting the export of cultural / historical artifacts have 1911 as the cut-off date. So anything 1911 and earlier cannot be exported out of the country.

It's an interesting paradox really. The vast majority of the Orders of the Double Dragons were awarded to foreigners and are therefore located overseas. Those that survived in China or which have been brought back cannot now leave the country.

Most of the Warlord Orders were awarded to Chinese citizens and can be exported out of China. I'd agree with Richard though. The Warlord period was regarded with little affection by the Chinese - both at the time and later. Most of the Orders would have been destroyed during the Nationalist period, the Japanese invasions, the Civil War and the Cultural Revolution. Japan seems to be where complete sets in exquisite condition turn up - not surprising given the care the Japanese attach to old things.

I wonder if many also survive in Taiwan? If you're frantically packing your gold bullion, antique jades, foreign government bonds and precious family heirlooms into your suitcase before the Communists overrun the airfield, a 30 year old Striped Tiger might not be high on your list. Unless you remember it's silver and can later be melted down ....

Edited by drclaw

Next year, with the prices going the way they are ...

Most likely they will ... Unfortunately...

Why you do these printouts at home?!

What's wrong with the office printers :whistle:

P.S. I see you redesigned your avatar ;)

Most of the Orders would have been destroyed during the Nationalist period, the Japanese invasions, the Civil War and the Cultural Revolution.

"Most of the orders"?

More like "some" ;)

Just think how many japanese orders, medals and sake cups survive barbarian carpet bombing raids of ww2 ;)

... not surprising given the care the Japanese attach to old things.

Actually very few of them have this attachment ... Thankfully :lol:

I wonder if many also survive in Taiwan? If you're frantically packing your gold bullion, antique jades, foreign government bonds and precious family heirlooms into your suitcase before the Communists overrun the airfield, a 30 year old Striped Tiger might not be high on your list. Unless you remember it's silver and can later be melted down ....

Many orders were brought by their cavaliers to Taiwan.

And they are still there .... ;)

Edited by JapanX

....who layered the enamels heavily into the cloisons seperated by a band of gold or silver, or even an edge of a brass strip to the point that you could rub your fingers over the tiger and feel the depth and dimension of his ears, his tail, and his proud chest. Once you have done that, you fall in love with the Tiger.

This is one juicy description Richard :cheers:

Thanks for your expertise here gentlemen. I know very little about militaria so I feel like i've dfinately come to the right place. Anyone interested in purchasing my badge?? I deal in enstate sales and I'm offering this for sale. If no takers, do you know what auction house this would be best handled by? Thanks, Justin.

I would offer, but I spent too much and my budget is at 0 now haha. Plus property taxes are coming in. I don't think they would accept a Striped Tiger order would they??

Don't forget Hong Kong. Many of the lucky ones fled before the communist takeover although I think more left with the clothes on the backs then those that left to Taiwan. Many Chinese websites I see are showing more and more people discovering good stuff hidden away. Most of it is not in good condition, but still out there.

I wonder why many of these threads in this section have not moved into the China section?

Nick, I don't think they will be happy with me printing out colored copies haha

Thanks for your expertise here gentlemen. I know very little about militaria so I feel like i've dfinately come to the right place. Anyone interested in purchasing my badge?? I deal in enstate sales and I'm offering this for sale. If no takers, do you know what auction house this would be best handled by? Thanks, Justin.

send me an email at USMCGungHo@aol.com

I wonder why many of these threads in this section have not moved into the China section?

Another unsolved mystery ;)

Nick, I don't think they will be happy with me printing out colored copies haha

These penny-pinchers will never be happy ...

• 4 months later...