WW2 Officer - Record of Service?

Is there any possibility of obtaining any service history for a German Officer (Hauptmann) who served in WW2. Do the German Authorities have a scheme similar to the U.K. Freedom of Information Act? Is there anything equivalent to the U.K. Army Lists for the German Heer ?

Any info gratefully received.

Ralph, I am going to the US Archive in a few weeks and can look for his record. I charge a small fee for looking and the US Archive charge 25 or 50 cent printing per page. If the officer was regular army there is a much bettter chance that his record will be there. If he was a reserve offiicer then the chances are slim. PM me if you want.

Thanks for the replies - I am afraid apart from a name, possible date of discharge and date of death I have nothing else. He served as a civilian with the British Army (starting in 1945) and was awarded a Honorary B.E.M. in 1979 - just wondering what his German Service/awards might have been - and was hoping for a link to a Seniority/Gradation book similar to that found for the British Army to try and narrow himn down - but having looked at the various sites, none of which appear to have an name index I think I would have a snowball's chance in hell of finding anything.....

There is a Rangeliste book that lists officers of Major and above (by surname only, no first names) for 1944 but as 'your man' was a Hauptmann he won't be listed. Without a date of birth (and unless he was a winner of a high end award) it will be an uphill struggle.