News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Medal ID help needed

Auseklis

Dear fellow collectors,

I purchased this medal on a flea market in Austria for a few bucks. After searching for some hours, I have to admid that identifing it is much more difficult than I thought. Can anybody help?

Thanks for looking!

Dear Auseklis & Paul, This is the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Military Appreciation Medal, established in 1971, and comes in three classes - this particular piece appears to the the 1st Class in gilded base metal and made by Bertrand of Paris. The ribbon is yellow with a narrow green stripe inset from either edge of the ribbon. In the centre of the ribbon there is an embroidered gold, silver or bronze palm tree and crossed swords. The medal is awarded for commendations for distinguished service during military operations or normal duty or as a result of being wounded on duty (this latter aspect has, I believe, become obsolete with the institution in 1987 of the Honour Medal which is wound specific). 1st Class is for Commanding Officers and above; 2nd Class for officers and NCOs; 3rd Class for enlisted men. Kind regards, Owain

It says "Kingdom of Saudi Arabia" on the top. I can't quite make out the bottom -something "al-maskari"?

Thanks for the pointer. Than it is the "Medal for Military Appreciation".

I guess it will be difficult to get a ribbon for that?

• 2 weeks later...

Dear fellow collectors,

I purchased this medal on a flea market in Austria for a few bucks. After searching for some hours, I have to admid that identifing it is much more difficult than I thought. Can anybody help?

Thanks for looking!

Dear Sir, the mentioned medal is a Saudi's, it's a medal of appreciation.

Hello Gentlemen, here is a Military Appreciation Medal with its correct ribbon (as silvered metal,mine should be 2nd Class)

The medal is extremely rarely seen. But pay attention to suspender (mine has a ball suspender and the one got by Auseklis has a barrel suspender).To my opinion the one with barrel suspender is older (from the 70ies).

My medal is 21 grammes without its ribbon. How heavy is yours ?

Did Owain got statistic on how often that medal could be awarded ?

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Emmanuel,

Whilst this medal is scarce for collectors its award appears to be fairly commonplace as most if not all senior officers I have seen have the ribbon on their uniforms. It may well be that as Saudi medals are a relatively recent institution - early 1970's that they have yet to come on the market. Even though I live in Riyadh obtaining Saudi medals is very difficult.

Regards,

Owain