News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Late Taiwan leader Chiang's Order of Blue Sky and White Sun going on block

JPL

• Replies 160
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a coincidence! It says "Special Class" on the reverse too!

It looks amazingly mint for something recently unearthed from Chiang's tomb. :D

Less than 10 days to go to the auction! It was sold after last year's auction by private treaty sale and the new owner expects an even higher price this year.

From: Scene Asia, http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2013/05/30/will-the-real-chiang-kai-shek-medal-please-stand-up/

As the Hong Kong auction market comes back to life, so does a military medal allegedly worn by former Chinese Nationalist leader Chiang Kai-shek.

When auction house Spink China put the medal up for sale last August, the Taiwanese government questioned its authenticity.

Called “Order of Blue Sky and White Sun with Grand Cordon,” the metallic medal with an enamel face features the emblem of the Chinese Nationalist Party, also known as the Kuomintang, and was awarded to Chiang Kai-shek in 1930. Fewer than 300 of the medals were handed out, and they constituted one of the highest military honors bestowed by the Nationalist government.

But just days before the Spink China auction, Taiwan’s Ministry of National Defense said it believed that Chiang Kai-shek’s medal was buried with him when he died in 1975. The medal received no bids at the auction and failed to sell.

Now, the auction house is trying once again to sell this contested piece of history at an upcoming auction in Hong Kong next month. Anna Lee, Spink China’s vice chairman, said the medal will be featured as the only item on offer at a sale scheduled for June 22.

Ms. Lee has estimated the medal will fetch between 8 million and 10 million Hong Kong dollars (US$1 and $1.3 million). If the medal finds a buyer, it will be the world’s most expensive military medal sold at auction, she said.

The medal has already changed hands since last summer’s controversy. Its current owner bought it in a private deal after the attempted auction. Ms. Lee did not disclose the owner’s identity.

The previous owner obtained the medal at a Taipei antique shop in the 1990s for 10 million New Taiwan dollars (US$333,950), Ms. Lee said.

Typically, “Order of the Blue Sky” medals were marked with a number on their back, but this particular medal isn’t numbered. Instead, it has engraved Chinese characters that translate to “Special One.” Ms. Lee says this engraving matches historical photos of Chiang Kai-shek wearing a medal that was flipped on its backside, revealing the marking.

The Taiwanese government hasn’t changed its stance on the medal’s authenticity. The Ministry of National Defense did not return phone calls, but earlier this month it told Taiwan’s main news agency that it believes the real medal is buried with Chiang Kai-shek.

Ms. Lee argues that Chiang Kai-shek was buried wearing a replica issued specifically for his funeral, and that the original medal bestowed to him in 1930 is the one that is for sale.

Taiwanese historian Chuk Hong-ming, who wrote a book on the history of the medal, shares the same view and endorsed Spink China’s sale last year.

“Unfortunately, we can’t ask them to open up the grave to find out for sure,” Ms. Lee said.

Something that failed to sell at auction last year because of doubts as to its authenticity has now TRIPLED in estimate from USD 387,000-645,000 to $1-1.3 million.

Something that failed to sell at auction last year because of doubts as to its authenticity has now TRIPLED in estimate from USD 387,000-645,000 to $1-1.3 million.

Very professional move!

But even more professional would be "rarity without price estimate" :lol:

Less than 10 days to go to the auction!

I am sooooooooo exited! :lol:

The previous owner obtained the medal at a Taipei antique shop in the 1990s for 10 million New Taiwan dollars (US$333,950)

Solid provenance! :whistle:

Unfortunately, we cant ask them to open up the grave to find out for sure, Ms. Lee said.

"Grave robbers from SpinkChina part II"

Soon in the theater near you!!!

Ms Lee does not know what she is talking about, were it to sell it would be the third most expensive medal 1) Washington's Order of Cincinnati $4 million, 2) Earl of Durham's Order of St Andrew £1.1 million. May be others I don't know of.

Paul

I have heard rumours about Mihai's Order of Victory but some of them seem to have stepped into little green men territory. The pieces I was referring to are published and verifiable

Paul

I have heard rumours about Mihai's Order of Victory but some of them seem to have stepped into little green men territory. The pieces I was referring to are published and verifiable

Paul

"Little green men territory" ...

I should look it up in my atlas :whistle:

The pieces I was referring to are published and verifiable

Taiwanese historian Chuk Hong-ming also wrote a book on the history of our medal :lol:

Two Australian VCs sold at auction were at the AUD 1 million mark, not including buyer's premium. The Aussie dollar has been bouncing around USD parity.

2011 - WW2 VC to Private Ted McKenna, New Guinea. Winning bid $1,002,000. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-07-28/vc-fetches-2412-million-at-auction/2814610

2006 - WW1 VC to Captain Shout, Gallipoli. Winning bid $1 million. Fortunately, the medal was donated to the Australian War Museum by the buyer. http://anzac.homestead.com/captainshoutVC.html

Nick - maybe we need a separate thread on the world's most expensive medals sold :)