News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I want to tell some words to Pandis book. To work on a book its a lot of work and i have respect for people who go this way. In addition to the many hours of work , we should not forget the financial aspect.

The first book is OK for someone who want an overview about the aviation badges and some basic informations.

It is not a reference book for serious collectors.

I don't have the second volume but it seems that the quality is better then the first one.

Regards

Alex

Edited by jaba1914

I want to tell some words to Pandis book. To work on a book its a lot of work and i have respect for people who go this way. In addition to the many hours of work , we should not forget the financial aspect.

The first book is OK for someone who want an overview about the aviation badges and some basic informations.

It is not a reference book for serious collectors.

I don't have the second volume but it seems that the quality is better then the first one.

Regards

Alex

Alex is right. I did speak rather bluntly. It is easier to criticize than it is to create. (The food always tastes better when you have to be the Cook. I think anyone who served or has gone camping has found that out –RIGHT!).

My comment however was to succulently communicate (my opinion) to the latest and best material on the subject. If the two books had complementary information, I would have listed each books positive and negative points.

But Rabadeux asked a brief question without preamble and I wanted to answer it just as briefly. I don’t actually know if he wanted just an overview of the badges or was looking to become a collector. I assumed he was a collector and wanted the best information available. With the number and quality of the fakes for sale in the marketplace, without the proper information (or experience) it would be monetary suicide to make a badge purchase.

Of course I collect Imperial Flight Badges and have been offered both the Pandis and Imperial Sky volumes. Without seeing either and relying on others' opinions, I made the previous post so as to avoid the usual pitfalls of buying the wrong reference. The recommendations for Imperial Sky have prompted me to go with that purchase. Thanks to all.

Of course I collect Imperial Flight Badges and have been offered both the Pandis and Imperial Sky volumes. Without seeing either and relying on others' opinions, I made the previous post so as to avoid the usual pitfalls of buying the wrong reference. The recommendations for Imperial Sky have prompted me to go with that purchase. Thanks to all.

Good choice and you will not be disappointed!

As a former collector of Imperial badges, I can assure you there's no such thing as too few references. Even a lesser reference will still have some excellent images of authentic badges. The hard part is discerning what you're willing to accept and what you're not.

I would recommend Steven's book, Robert's book as well as Carsten Baldes' book coming out at some point in the future. Carsten is one of Germany's pre-eminent Imperial Aviation collector's.

You will also find the Imperial Aviation series to be of benefit, Chaliff's book and Nieman's price guide. Each of these books has excellent images of some pretty special items. Each book will have images/examples not necessarily found in the others.

Are there mistakes? Of course, not one reference book out there is 100% accurate.

You'll find my name as a contributor in three of the above references....

Do I make mistakes on ID's? Well of course I do. There's not a single collector in the world who can claim they are right 100% of the time. It is only through your references, which should include hands-on handling of as many examples as possible, that will guide you through the minefield of Imperial German & Austrian Aviation Badges.

I encourage you to visit with your peers who are actively collecting as well as attending shows as often as possible to attempt to handle the pieces as much as possible. there's really no substitute for actually handling these badges.

• 1 month later...

Really interested in your findings Robert on the Turkish badges at the Lafayette Foundation. I think one may be legit, while the other is not in my opinion. However, I am thinking the latter is probably a replacement piece from the pilot later on in life. What were your thoughts?? Does your book go into these badges in detail?

• 1 month later...

My inital post attempted to decide which book to purchase. Upon seeing the product at the MAX Show in October 2012 and speaking to the authors, I bought both sets of books and have not been disappointed. I did get some bad news on one badge I own but due to the author's contention that many reproductions exist from decades past, I am not surprised. I am willing to take the medicine and not abandon the hobby--I just took the wrong advice back in Nov. 2011.