News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Standard German Infantryman

Starting from a position of limited knowledge so do not be afraid to treat me like an idiot...then no one is disappointed! I would like to 'build' a representation of a basic German Infanteer with a standard set of personal equipment. Mindful of fakes/repros, could the membership offer any ideas/pitfalls/average costs of equipment and what i should be looking for? Greatcoat v tunic etc. Also I assume patterns of items changed/updated during the war so an idiots guide of what constituted a 1914 'set' up to and including a 1918 'set' would be really helpful. Knowing a little about British webbing; from full marching order to fighting order, I would offer a parameter of 'in the trench or assault' if that helps.

VMT - much appreciated.

Mark

Edited by MG1918

Chris huge thanks for the reply. If anyone would know the German market you would. I am open to advice in what the 'configuration' would be. I would like to assume that for representation purposes the average infanteer would wear 'set A', a stormtrooper 'set B' and a machine gunner 'set C'. So actually if you have time could you offer a view on the items needed? I will send an email too. Mark

I agree with Chris, With that many setups, pants are going to be a nightmare. If you are set on doing a full manequin, then you can allway get some nice repro pants as a "stand in" for the time being. German field grey is expensive, and well faked. Make sure you get some opinions on whatever you want to buy.

--the 1918 should be fairly straightforward. The most expensive things will be the tunic, the cammo helmet (get a good one, it will totally bring out your display), and the grenades. The other equiptment wont be too bad.

--the 1914 will depend if you want a matching field grey cover to your pickelhaube, and what kind of unit you want. If you want standard prussian line, it will be costly but not prohibitive. If you want to go something like GdC, it will take a while and be expensive, very expensive (although it should hold a good value for you)

There are quite a lot of imperial collectors here. Get opinions on everything so you dont kick yourself later on. I went with what Chris did, full up torso displays with one or two full manequins. Fortunately for me, I collected American uniforms, to which pants are fairly easy to find (boots however...).

Chris and Chris thanks. I think all 3 of my representations will be 1916 onwards so no expensive 'pickle' or cover required.....fortunately. So you are right, at some point I need 3 tunics, 3 trousers and 3 prs boots or boot/puttees. I would think proper full length boots will be hard to find too. So if someone is brave enough to say an infanteer Set A would be............... and a stormtrooper Set B would be...... and then a machine gunner Set C... that woud be terrific.

Mark

If you already have a drag strap (which I assume you do), then a MG man would be the easiest to build. The gear would just consist of a P08 holster and belt (with buckle). You could throw in a bayonet or a trench knife if you wanted to. Not every MG man qualified for the MGSsA insignia, so you could even leave that out. A Bluse with infantry shoulder straps, trousers, boots, a Halsbinde and helmet would round things out.

Depending on what you envision, I would forget the storm-trooper.

Extra items for an infantry set would be, Tornister with Mantel- and Kochgeschirrriemen, Messkit, Zeltbahn, Zeltbahnzubehörbeutel (with rope, tent poles and pegs), overcoat, cartridge pouches, breadbag, entrenching shovel with Spatentasche, bayonet and frog, bayonet knot, Gew.98 with sling & a canteen. Quite a list with a total cost (if you could find everything) of about $5,000.00.

• 1 month later...

Still hunting infantry gear but on bread bags - assuming unmarked/unstamped, what are the differences between WWI & WWII patterns. Especially the strap. Plenty on eBay and seem to be reasonably priced but clearly I am targeting Great War Imperial. Mark

I too want to assemble a complete infantryman's display but its a long hard process and if you have A.D.D. like me you'll get distracted many, many, many, many times by other items.

I only have the tunic, pants, helmet, and one ammo pouch (wrong one tooo!!) but have no equipment. Starting this summer I must start focusing on equipment. However, I would love to have a salty 1910/1914 pattern enlisted tunic to use.

Charles,

The Tornister was not normally carried into combat. Marches yes, but not the full pack for combat. You do see a makeshift version, the so-called Sturmgepäck. It consisted of a Kochgeschirr with overcoat or blanket wrapped around it with pack straps. It used breadbag straps as shoulder braces.

Chip