News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Advice needed for a friend

Over the last month or so, I have gotten to known a local collector. He is an elderly collector (older even than me!). His memory is not entirely clear on when/where he got what, but I do not THINK he has been actively collecting in recent years. There is, happily, none of the "vet-bringback" tall tale nonsense. He has some nice items, but he also has some items that trouble me, deeply, simply because they are (1) beyond my "comfort zone" and (2) are things that my first reaction would be to distrust them. He has loaned me two items to scan and post here for expert opinions. Please let me know what you think so I can share the happy or unhappy news with him.

If you need more detailked scans of anything, please let me know.

Item 1-

Ed,

I have seen these "Duals" in single pieces. I have also seen these where the spange is connected directly to the EK as you have shown, and a third type with a connector plate to attach the spange and EK. All (3) types ---- some good and also bad.

On this example I would be inclined to say it is questionable. I base this on (2) things. The large ray screw back is not generally seen on the 1914 EK I. Instead a smaller screw back with (2) raised ridges is the norm for a screw back or a standard pin, hinge and clasp. What I dislike most on this example is the eagles head. The head of the Eagle on this spange looks too flat and narrow. After thumbing through a couple books the Eagles heads were more round.

JMO, hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...