News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Orlov of the OGPU (Surviving & Surviving WELL)

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

Posted by owner's permission, photos still incoming. Watch this space. :ninja:

[attachmentid=26699]

[attachmentid=26700]

and da, my gimlet eyed Comrades! That is indeed the Turkmen Order of the Red Banner of Labor there in the middle of Mikhail Alekseevich's burly chest. You MAY pencil in his forenames in your "Republican Orders" books, p. 316. Awarded as "Sotrudnik of the GPU of the Turkmen SSR" on 17 December 1930. 154 awarded to individuals. :rolleyes:

[attachmentid=26704]

Guest Rick Research

1940 edition Orders Book

[attachmentid=26728]

issued 30 January 1941, so the three rectangles rank then = Lieutenant Colonel. His RSFSR ORB must have been one of the very last awarded, since privileges began 1 May 1930.

ORB 232,347 would be from early 1945, and Lenin 57,877 around April-May 1947

[attachmentid=26789]

Guest Rick Research

RSFSR Order of the Red Banner 15,853:

[attachmentid=26729]

Originally the Type 1s had a small tightening nut and a larger flat disk with stamped serial number matching the engraved serial number on the Order itself. This large flat disk has been modified, making it the actual screw-disk by adding a thread "neck" to the cneter, and stamping through two "thumb assists," one of which has broken off.

Guest Rick Research

And the 1917-1932 'XV' VChK GPU "egg." Anybody know what the replaced screw disk was from?

[attachmentid=26730]

Guest Rick Research

Sorry, can't do anything better between the camera focus on these and my no-technology-available "skills."

[attachmentid=26735]

Will add more as I get sent things and edit them as best I can.

In 1930 Comrade Orlov was in a Border Guard unit, so his tab edging indicates he was a Political Commissar. I don't have more details yet. I'm kind of hoping he made General during the war and Steen Ammentorp can tell us more.

This is a silver plate off of some sort of gift-- relative size can be seen from the first scan above:

[attachmentid=26736]

"To Orlov M.A.

On the Xth anniversary of the Border

Guards O.G.P.U. from the Collegium

of the O.G.P.U. 10/XII 1930"

A documented Republic Red Banner is a real rarity. Is the CCCP Red Banner for long service?

There's a good chance that this plaque was attached to a gift service pistol (Mauser?) that he carried and had to surrender upon retirement.

Guest Rick Research

Unfortunately the Turkmen ORBL isn't in the group-- only the three awards shown. :(

But this is definitely one of those PARTIAL stories that wouldn't it be great to find out more on?

Hi Rick,

A really interesting group you have there. I imagine that this guy took some real stories with him.

That plaque rings a bell. I know that I have seen one somewhere, but can?t find it at the moment - all I?ve found so far are pictures of Budenny?s Mauser; but the plaques on that don?t match. The one that I?m thinking of was described as being to an ?Honor Weapon?. If I find it, I will let you know.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Guest Rick Research

I wish! Not mine, just posting it.

Another VERY exciting thing about this group is that it is a DOCUMENTED RSFSR Red Banner from April 1930-- privileges began 1 May 1930.

The USSR version Red Banner was created in 1930, so this helps set a "top limit" on actual awarded numbers that can be precisely dated. :cheers:

I've never been sure from my reading IF the RSFSR awards stopped being bestowed in 1930, or rambled along until they used up the existing ones and THEN went over to handing out USSR versions in 1933. I know that there are higher numbered RSFSR ORBs, but am not aware of the DATING ever being this close before.

So many awards, but so little documentation!!!

Rick,

I am sorry to disappointment you on this but I don't think that our friend here made it general ? at least not during the war. Neither Armee unter dem roten Stern : die milit?rischen Kr?fte der Union der Sozialistischen Sowjetrepubliken by Kurt Mehner & Jaroslav Stanek or http://www.rkka.ru mention him. While there not completely consistency between the two I would expect that at least one of them would mention him had he been a general.

Kind Regards

Steen Ammentorp

The Generals of World War II

Guest Rick Research

Ah well. :beer:

I imagine our disappoinment was considerably less than that of the poor border patrol camel chosen to transport the not-inconsiderable-bulk of Comrade Orlov around on his expeditions! :speechless1::lol:

Another VERY exciting thing about this group is that it is a DOCUMENTED RSFSR Red Banner from April 1930-- privileges began 1 May 1930.

The USSR version Red Banner was created in 1930, so this helps set a "top limit" on actual awarded numbers that can be precisely dated. :cheers:

I've never been sure from my reading IF the RSFSR awards stopped being bestowed in 1930, or rambled along until they used up the existing ones and THEN went over to handing out USSR versions in 1933. I know that there are higher numbered RSFSR ORBs, but am not aware of the DATING ever being this close before.

I've seen a few sources say that the RSFSR were distributed even after the introduction of the USSR version until the old stocks were exhausted.