News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Photo from a dump site

Markgraf

This photograph was found by a friend of mine on a local (Northern Hungary) rubbish-heap.

I think on the picture can be seen a WWI US Army soldier, sadly the inscription on the backside is a bit unreadable.

I would be happy for any extra information!

Private George Kapusta

Co. D., 10th US Infantry Regiment

Camp Custer, Michigan

George Kapusta was born on 17 February 1886 in the Austro-Hungarian Empire (in what later became Czechoslovakia) and died on 28 August 1962. He lived in Chicago, Illinois. He is buried in Resurrection Catholic Cemetery in Justice, Illinois. This was a mainly Polish cemetery, but the name Kapusta could be Czech, Slovak or Polish.

He served from 2 May 1917 to 17 January 1919 in Company D, 10th Infantry. The 10th Infantry Regiment was sent Camp Custer, Michigan, in July 1918 when the 14th Division was being formed. World War I ended before the division went overseas.

Regards

This was a mainly Polish cemetery, but the name Kapusta could be Czech, Slovak or Polish.

Coincidentally, the word "Kapusta" means "cabbage" in Polish.

Great photo actually. Amazing find as Chris states...

Edited by IrishGunner

Dave: Thank You Very much!

This is really fantastic!

With help of Dave's informations I was found Mr. Kapusta in the US immigration database ( ellisisland.org)

According these György Kapusta immigrated to the United States in 1904 at age 18. Arrived to Ellis Island on October 24, on the board of the ship named Slavonia.

His destination was Ilasco, Missouri (the residence of his brother-in-law, János Kiszel). He confessed himself to Ruthenian.

His last residence in Austro-Hungary was the village named Dobronya (today Dobrá Niva, Slovakia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobr%C3%A1_Niva)

Dobronya is approximately 50 km away from the finding place of the picture. So I think he sent home the photo to his parents or relatives after the war.

One more question: His military record contained his exact birthplace or noted only Austria-Hungary?

Edited by Markgraf

• 4 weeks later...

Off topic, sorry....

Does anybody (especially you Dave) have any info on a WW1 Pvt Willie L. Royse, drafted in june 1917 and discharged in 1919.

I cant find anything on units etc. All i know he served in France and was wounded there.

Thanks

Herman

• 2 weeks later...