News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

How to Ruin a Good Sword

Mervyn Mitton

This is an Artillery Officer's Sword - British and with the identifying three bar hilt.

The condition is actually not that bad - but, for some reason a previous owner has had it chrome plated. Swords

are nickel and whilst you occasionally come across a silver plated blade - chrome is a 'no-no'.

Firstly -- it looks like chrome with the bright finish - secondly, it puts a thick film over the etching on the blade. very obvious in this case. I can make out that it is a sword by the famous maker's Hobson - and it has the Royal

Arms - but, I'm not sure if it is a Queen's Crown or, for Edward 7th. ? I would certainly say pre-1914.

The scabbard is missing - broken accidentally by the seller's Father. Not an easy thing to do - even the field

scabbard of pig skin has an inner liner. However, you can buy scabbards fairly easily on the web. However,

before you do so - always measure the blade. British blades can be between 33inches and 37inches - dependent

on how tall the officer is. For this sword it is a 35 inch blade ( 72.5cm)

I will show a few pictures to show how the chrome looks out of place.

............................................http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2013/post-6209-0-20895900-1357659067.jpgclick..............................

Mervyn......

I have seen this before......

During the Stampede Parade last summer I saw an American high school band and they had a colour party guarded by two people with old 303's, bolt missing that had been painted white and two 1796 Light Cavalry Swords that had been chromed....... I just about cried.......

Mike

Mike - we see this a lot in Sth. Africa. All sorts of units wanted an Honour Guard - and chromed the bayonets - usually the 1907

pattern. Very hard to have it removed - although I will have a metal place have a look at this sword. Mervyn

I used to get a fair bit of chromework done when chopping bikes, a fair bit of stuff was 'orrible and needed re-chroming. The plating works also took off the old chrome for me. I believe they used their vats of acid and reversed the polarity of the tank so the chrome came off just as it was put on. I tried all the home methods of coke and acid and sandblasting - don't bother. The plating works will know what to do depending on whether there's a coat of nickel underneath or if its on steel, bass or ali. Cheap as chips too.

During the 1st WW - with all of the intense trench fighting - there was a great need for fighting knives.

You must remember that it was not until WW2 that the commando pattern came into use - introduced

by Captains Fairburn and Sykes.

The base workshops - for both the British and the Germans - converted many swords and bayonets

into trench knives. One of the most popular conversions for the British was the 1880's style Martini Henry

bayonet. This was already a shortish bayonet and was double sided for the blade.

During the 1st WW - with all of the intense trench fighting - there was a great need for fighting knives.

You must remember that it was not until WW2 that the commando pattern came into use - introduced

by Captains Fairburn and Sykes.

The base workshops - for both the British and the Germans - converted many swords and bayonets

into trench knives. One of the most popular conversions for the British was the 1880's style Martini Henry

bayonet. This was already a shortish bayonet and was double sided for the blade.

One that was converted as well was the Ross Rife bayonet, since the soldiers did not like the rifle they put the bayonet to good use.....

Mike