News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Guys,

My first careful step on the slippery slope, a RAO marked "W".

I know the question stinks, but could anyone give me an approximate value on this item?

Secondly, would it be possible to find a piece of contemporary ribbon somewhere.

Thanks

Jan

Hello Vatjan:

Congratulations, you have a very nice example of the last type of the 4th Class RAO.

These have been going up in price lately. I would say that the average market price seems to be about EUR 200 lately.

Old ribbon stock is not easily found, but it exists in the hands of collectors. I'm sure that a modern nylon ribbon could easily be had for a few dollars, until you might find an original piece.

I hope that this helps!

"SPM"

Guest Rick Research

Jan: instead of looking for a loose ribbon, you may want to wait for a medal bar instead.

This nice set has the little clips in front so the awards slip in and out with no stitching or sewing or messing around with anything.

[attachmentid=27249]

I'm waiting, cheapskate that I am, for a "reasonably" priced Red Eagle 4 myself--

though my long term prospects of finding the 1889 Visit of Kaiser Wilhelm to Constantinople Medal are fairly grim.

Good thing I don't MIND waiting for the odd decade or two! :cheeky:

But you may find something "easier," like the Red Eagle, a long service, and the 1897 Centenary Medal.

:unsure: Thennnnnnn we will slide you into German Medal Bars too! :rolleyes:

Rick, good idea, but a gentleman from the forum has already offered to help with this ribbon. :jumping:

Thanks for the interest everyone, and for the helpful replies.

And, Rick, happy hunting for that missing piece and cheap RAO

Jan