News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Newspaper & The Photo on the Cover!

Fellow researchers:
    I was getting caught up on scanning some of the new aquisitions into my Hilfskreuzer Archive and decided to share this wonderful photo.

A famous photo from Heinz Tischer aboard Hilfskreuzer THOR, with a caption on the reverse written in his own hand....and then used on the
    cover!

Enjoy!

Joe

I am soooo Jelous Joe.

This is just a great photo of Kreigsberichter Heinz Tischer from the second cruise of the THOR.

Like you, i have many copies of his original photo's.I have a letter from him where he describes how all of his negatives were destroyed towards the end of the war.About 200 of his original prints did survive from which he made his book,"Die Abenteuer des letzen Kapers,Hilfskreuzer Thors Reise in die Katastrophe".

He did make copies from these originals,and as i mentioned i have quite a few of these reprints.I do have at least one of his original prints.

What i like about this picture is that it shows his camera.It looks like one of the Leica III series that were produced in the 1930's and 1940's

Just a great photo for me Joe and as you know i collect anything in regards to Tischer and the 2nd cruise of the THOR.

Thanks,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

Another great photo of Tischer Joe.

Where did you find these little gems?

The photo above looks like it was taken when Thor crossed the Equator ?

Here is one that i have,probably taken about the same time.This is one of Tischer's postwar copies he made.It has his handwriting on the reverse that reads,"Gumprich & Equator baptism".

Regards,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

Martin: Yes, taken during the line crossing ceremony. Here is one where the ceremony is on-going...

The Equator ceremony seems to be a theme for me right now....just this week, one of the actual scripts from ORION's ceremony arrived too. I'll get it scanned and posted,

Joe

The Equator ceremony seems to be a theme for me right now....just this week, one of the actual scripts from ORION's ceremony arrived too. I'll get it scanned and posted,

Joe

I'll look forward to seeing the ORION scripts Joe.

I have tons of pictures from the STIER Equator crossing also.

Anyway,here is an original of Tischer that i have taken in Balikpapan,Borneo in September 1942.

The photo came with a handwritten note by Tischer, in English.

Tischer is the officer second from the left.The Officer on the right with the dagger is Dr. Kurt Sudau the ships Admin.

Regards,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All:

Last month I mentioned I would be scanning some documents from Orion. These are especially special to me because all three were printed or mimoegraphed aboard the ship. The paper is a bit frail and faded, but the documents still speak their history boldly. Joe

Hello All:

These are especially special to me because all three were printed or mimoegraphed aboard the ship. The paper is a bit frail and faded, but the documents still speak their history boldly. Joe

Great items from the ORION Joe and thanks for showing.I just love the "artwork" ,as crude as it is on those doc's.

Here is one that is special to me from the THOR 1.

Given to Matr.Gefr.Walter Nehm.It is hand coloured and the signature of "Neptun" on the bottom is by the hand of Otto Kahler,the Commander of THOR 1.

Regards,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

Great indeed Joe,

well,at least for us HK geeks. ;)

Nice to see this plain example of the Taufschein for VP.Lutje of the THOR 1.

I see that the dates are the same,6,7.40 and have the same "Neptun" signature by Kahler.

I have seen a few of these "uncoloured" examples.

I think that Walter Nehm liked to add colour to some of his items.Here is a hand coloured photo i have of him that he may well have done himself along with the Equator document ??

Regards,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

• 4 years later...

I have the book from Tischer about HK Thor and I am very interested in your collections and informations about the second travel of Thor. My granduncle was on board. I found him mentioned in the book of Tischer on one photo there. His name was Wilhelm "Willi" Schlummer. So if you can give me some new informations or perhaps can show me documents or photos with my granduncle I would be very happy.

thor-006.jpg