News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

NKVD Uniform

• Replies 50
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a uni guy. The opportunity presented itself, a rare and early uniform for NKVD. The Guru said "None better in years, buy it"........... and one month later, there you have it. Due to circumstances beyond my control, it can't stay... but I am enjoying it's brief interlude here!

I have always liked these... Thanks for showing yours.

I have a few NKVD sets and will post them in the coming weeks now that a thread has started about them. It is very refreshing to see the positive activity here on this forum.

I do have to comment on the cap though... The cap itself is a Model 1927, but it seems to have a Model 1935 visor, and mid-1940s star. Is the chinstrap made of oil-cloth or plastic? It appears to have had a shiny surface and has been dulled down. Anyway, I'm certain that they did all sorts of modifications back then to use what they had, but I have never seen this combination before.

Do the breeches have a crimson colored piping down the sides?

Richie C

Guest Rick Research

The cap is dated 1933 and is a "Quality 2" (COPT 2). The tunic and the breeches are dated 1939 and 1941 but I haven't had time to examine them and forget which is which. I am on hospital alert and only pop in momentarily late evenings.

Everything is original, miracle of miracles, though the holster and belt are beat. Can't remember the last time I ever saw an NKVD State Security (sleeve badges-- not their militarized troops) uniform like this.

PS. Love the Max von Sidow avatar! He nay have played 'to type" a lot, but he was darn good at it!

Max is one of my all time favorites... I would rather have used a shot of him from NEEDFUL THINGS for my avatar, but I could not score a decent still from that movie off of the net...

Rex Harrison would make an even better one I think... His is another image that is difficult to find, especially his Captain Gregg character in The Ghost And Mrs. Muir... All the ones I have came across have been either too small in size or have had shadows in the background...

Richie C

Edited by RichieC

I also believe that (genuine) examples of these are a tough find. The "egg" sleeve insignia is highly faked, along with the ever popular Political Commissar sleeve stars and Air Force Officer's sleeve wings.

In any case, here is my example. It is unmarked, undated, and is constructed of rough wool gaberdine. The Lieutenant's rank pips are of the high quality screwback type.

The faded Model 1935 cap is also undated, and has the mid/late war type of star cockarde.

Edited by RichieC