News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

Maybe if you made a BIT smaller. :rolleyes::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

St Henry Knight, Bav MVO4 in there... pre October 1936.

More than that, you need satellite telemetry from Ralph.

Sorry, starting with a tiny portrait to begin with. The bar close-up was 600dpi just to get that. Here's what I see:

1914 EK2

Hohenzollern House Order, RKwX

Saint Henry RK

Verdiebst Order RK2wX

Albert Order, RK1wX

Albert Order, RK2wX

BMVO4wX

????

????

He's wearing a very minty/frosted Retired Pilot Badge!

Hi Bob, all retired pilot badges from WW1 are "cut-out".... it's the pilot badge itself that is in the extreme when one shows up "cut-out'....

Fortunately the "trophy boys" have a new supplier of laser-cut copies of the cut-out pilot badge. They're fake, but the usual buyers are gulping them up for stupid money! ;>)

Guest Rick Research

Evil Ricky came by today... but did he bring this teensy tinsey itsy bitty widdle photo so the Good Ricky could make a Special Very Nice Monitor Screen Size Scan? That he did not.

I'm wondering if the last dingus is actually a peacetime Prussian Crown 4, so back date this to 1933-34.

But must be (helllo?) able to actually SEE same, rank et cetera.

Hold on boys and girls. Uncle Ricky will get it eventually and all shall be made

clear.

:P

Guest Rick Research

Even a Ringwielder cannot overcome a crappy original! Focus, people? This IS focussed. It's the PHOTO that is bad...

[attachmentid=27694]

... just like the Truly Evil Twin. :o

EK

HHOX

St Henry-Kniggut

Sax Merit O-Kniggut (1? 2?) X

SA3aX

SA3bX

? Hamburg Hanseatic

? Sax War Effort Cross

? round medal thingee

Prussian Crown Order 4 peacetime

Guest Rick Research

Although he is shown as a Major in the Reichs Air Ministry, dunno what happened to this guy. Never made General, not in the '45 LW Seniority List, and some questions remain on awards

BUT

this is Paul Ferdinand SOMMER, born 21 November 1888 Jocketa in Vogtland

Saxon Inf Regt 134, to flying troops before the war, FFA 22 and KS 10 and KG2 during the war:

HHOX gazetted 11 August 1917

St Henry-Knight 3 May 1917

SV3bX 18.1.17

SA3aX not on rolls but plain as day as THIS blur can be

SA3bX 18.11.15

couple of ???

Next to last is Prussian ? awarded 14.12.12

ending with

Prussian Crown Order 4 14.7.14, gazetted in MWB 15.8.14

His St Henry citation noted severely injured and partially disabled and in pain ever since crashing 1913 on the "Prince Henry Flight."

Lt 19.8.07 B

Oberlt 8.12.14

Hauptmann 21.12.16

char. Major aD

Neal O'Connor has a nice photo in the Saxon volume when his HHOX was newly awarded, only the then-Saxon "trio" and Prussian trio on his medal bar. I will post that later.

No blur, no smudge, can withstand the Awesome Powers of the Good Ricky. :rolleyes:

Evil Ricky neglected to mention this photo has "Auf Wiedersehen!" "19.8.35" (very late for no Hindenburg Cross X yet) and a signature which I would defy anybody to come up with the last name from as scribbled.

Guest Rick Research

What can I say? (Buffing fingernails) Brains AND beauty, both. :rolleyes:

As you can see, even the signature was not much help: can you honestly "read" S-o-m-m-e-r in there?

[attachmentid=27723]

And here he was in 1917, from page 111 of Neal O'Connor's Saxon volume:

[attachmentid=27724]

The SA3aX is NOT shown in the deficient 1918 Rolls. I'm pretty sure that is a Hamburg Hanseatic, and it MIGHT actually be a Hindenburg Cross X in 3rd from the end-- the actual focus is so blurry that even the Xs on the Alberst and Merit Order don't show in the "fuzz." I'd be surprised at a Reichs Air Ministry senior officer NOT having a Hindeburg "mounted up" for full dress, as here, by AUGUST of 1935!

Until the next Blurs & Smudges,

:ninja::cat:

• 2 weeks later...