News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with translation of document

Hi all,

Just bought a Red Star to a soldier No 1689792 awarded August 1945 if I understand right, he also got a Bravery medal in 1943 and a Combat service in 1945.

I only got the Red Star and the award booklet, but enclosed was also this paper , which I think is

some sort of citation ??

Could anyone help me with a summary translation of the doc ? I hope the pic is readable otherwise I post better pics in detail...

Have a nice weekend all collectors all over the world

Christer

Its a recommendation for an Order of the Patriotic War 2nd class. The recommendation could have been down?graded to a Red Star by senior officers.

Does the name at the top of the document match the name in the Order booklet?

If you'd like it translating for a fair price, id contact "Ferdinand" on here, his work speaks for itself!

Tom

Aha , Thanks Tom

Yes it looks like he was downgraded to a Red Star , now I have to see if I can find this Ferdinand ?

Maybe he can help me , I have another paper also with info so it would be interesting to see the story behind the award.

Christer

It looks like a real nice award. Lieutenant, 25th or 35th motorized rifle brigade?. Da pic is puny so I can't see it well. worth getting Auke to translate it. Unusual of sorts because it isn't the common "comrade Boris smoked 5 hitlerites" type. Worth getting translated. Pls do post and share this story with us.

Edited by Aurelius

Say hallo to Sr Lt Arkady Ivanovich Afonsky !

Thanks to the fantastic help from Ferdinand I now have the full story about the soldier behind the Red Star that I bought.

I truly recommend Ferdinand to all who looks for Soviet research/translation.

Afonsky was born in 1912 in Chudovo , Leningrad Oblast, he joinded the Red Army in October 1934 and to my surprise he was never a member of the Communist party....

In July 1945 he was Signal company commander in the 24th Prut Order of Bogdan Khmelnitsky Border Guards Regiment of the MVD Forces A NKVD Regiment !!

He was then proposed for a Order of Patriotic War 2nd class with the following citation;

He has been participating in the Patriotic War since its very beginning.

While carrying out combat missions aimed at finishing off small armed enemy groups operating in the rear of the Active Red Army in Romanian, Hungarian, and Czechoslovakian territory, he demonstrated excellent leadership skills in ensuring the uninterrupted communications between the regimental command and the units at the front line. Thanks to the skillful way in which he arranged his men and his means of communication throughout the period in which the regiment was advancing right behind the Red Army, he organized and ensured a smoothly running messaging service and uninterrupted radio and telephone communications with the units of the regiment and the army staff. His communications equipment works smoothly and his men carry out their tasks on time. He performs a great deal of work in educating his men, both in their specialty and in combat readiness. Under his leadership 22 first-class radio operators were trained, whose duties have been evaluated very well. Serving in the 35th Motorized Rifle Regiment during the fighting near Leningrad he took a direct part in the fighting as a platoon leader. While repelling repeated enemy attacks he was severely wounded.

He distinguished himself in combat and political training. He is disciplined, morally stalwart, and ideologically mature.

For taking an active part in the war against the enemies of the motherland, for the fortitude and bravery he displayed in combat, and for skillfully leading his subordinates I nominate comrade Afonsky for the Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd Class.

Sign by Rgt Commander Colonel Kapustin .

Afonsky already had a Medal for Bravery earned on Northern Caucasus Front in May 1943 and now he could win a high order .

But by some reason the Chief of the of the NKVD Forces of the Central Group of Soviet Forces

Major General Kuznetsov downgraded the OPW to a Red Star...

He also was awarded Medal for Victory over Germany , Defence of Caucasus , Capture of Budapest and Capture of Vienna , the last award in his papers is a Medal for military valor awarded in 1949 , probably for Long service ?

A interesting story behind a simple Red Star

Christer

Awesome!

Regarding his party membership, i believe that one of the reasons lots of people joined the party is that your family would be informed if you were KIA.

Id think it unusual that a non party member would have been NKVD, but there you go!

Thanks for sharing.

Tom