News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1939 Iron Cross 1st Class "595"

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

Just for giggles, since I don't turn up one of these previously by searching "595"--

anybody know where these came from and when?

It's one piece, not well made, nor particularly accurate... but well painted.

Is it actually possible to fool anybody with a thing like this any more?

Awful looking things, aren't they?

They've been around quite a long time now - I would hazard a guess at '80s/'90s aswell.

They still turn up regularly on the forums with the inevitable question... is it real? (usually after having already been purchased).

Regards - Danny

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh! the good old "Polish Fake" rears it's head again!, that is what it was called back in the 1970's when I bought one on the assumption it was real, mine came with a EKI etui also which I also still have, the medal is actually hanging on the wall in front of me as I type. Pure rubbish but has been around for a very long time

Alex K

Edited by Alex K

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: That is very good to know! A time and a place of origin... sort of a hobby in quiet times, cataloging distribution of such things. Thanks! :cheers:

Hi Rick this thing has been around for a long time and keeps popping every so often. I know I bought one before I got married, and I got married in 1976 :o

I assumed at the time it was original but subsequently it appears to have been proven a fake (No internet or forums in those days) so you relied on the honesty of dealers, somethings still havn't changed, In the earlier days it was labelled as "Polish fake".

regards

Alex

Guest Rick Research

Ayuh, back in the days of printed catalogs--without illustrations... when what reference books there were used old Nazi-era images of FRONTS and nobody ever had a REVERSE image.

I worked all summer of 1969 as a young teen to save up (and buy :banger: ) a cased Knight's Cross "authentically hallmarked" (RZM!!!!!!!!!! :speechless1: )... but the frame WAS real silver, so... every German officer had one...in the movies!!!! :blush:

Ayuh, back in the days of printed catalogs--without illustrations... when what reference books there were used old Nazi-era images of FRONTS and nobody ever had a REVERSE image.

I worked all summer of 1969 as a young teen to save up (and buy :banger: ) a cased Knight's Cross "authentically hallmarked" (RZM!!!!!!!!!! :speechless1: )... but the frame WAS real silver, so... every German officer had one...in the movies!!!! :blush:

I remember those films well unfortunately, and don't forget the monocle :cheeky: