News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Landwehr Dienstauszeichnung I. Klasse - goog or bad?

A few days ago I bought this Landwehr Long Service Cross and now would like to assure, that it is a contemporary piece. I would be glad, if anybody could provide his opinion on this cross!!

Another question: A single medal bar with only a 20 years Landwehr Dienstauszeichnung would normally denote somebody in the private sector, not an official with a chance on a KO4 or RAO4 or something more prestigious???

Many thanks in advance!!

Edited by turtle

Guest Rick Research

The cross looks wonderful-- silver exactly like a Red Eagle Order with gold plated centers. Post-1918 ones tend to be some sort of alloy. That is a rather unusual style of mounting for the ribbon, though--usually seen for enlisted ranks' bars.

Almost every single senior Reserve or long serving Landwehr officer, Hauptleute or Oberleutnants had a lone LD1-- so no worries there.

The cross looks wonderful-- silver exactly like a Red Eagle Order with gold plated centers. Post-1918 ones tend to be some sort of alloy. That is a rather unusual style of mounting for the ribbon, though--usually seen for enlisted ranks' bars.

Almost every single senior Reserve or long serving Landwehr officer, Hauptleute or Oberleutnants had a lone LD1-- so no worries there.

Thankyou very much! Most of the LD1 I´ve seen were on medal bars accompanied by at least a KO4 and / or a RAO4, so I thought the single medal bar was rather unusual.

I paid 50EUR for my LD1, was this a fair price? Most dealer´s websites in Germany sell them for around 100EUR, which seems rather high in my humble opinion.

• 8 years later...
    On 15/08/2013 at 13:08, turtle said:

I paid 50EUR for my LD1, was this a fair price? Most dealer´s websites in Germany sell them for around 100EUR, which seems rather high in my humble opinion.

Well, fair?! Only for you as the buyer I'd suppose. I do see it's been eight years since then, but these crosses are relatively uncommon and, at least in my eyes, rather undervalued.

:whistle:

It might also be noteworthy our dear late Rick seems to be wrong here for once: the centers of these crosses are usually real gold, not "gold plated". Those exist as well, but more as an exception to the rule. 

Edited by saschaw