News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Identifiable-to-be medal bars number 19 - administrative officer

Dear Forumites, dear Rick, dear research gnomes!

Here I have a bar in my possession, which is complete of photograph of the wearer, but alas not of his name!

Maybe it can be identified thanks to the oval silver duke Carl Eduard's medal with swords date (18.10.1914, Wolga/Wolra? hard to decipher, but quite possibly the site name must be located in the Eastern front, Poland?).

Here's the description of the bar and some detailled pictures:

• Preußen, Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse, 1914 (OEK 1909), E/S mit Wiederholungsspange „1939“ zum EK 2. Kl. 1914 Halbminiatur (OEK 3825/1)
    • Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha, Ovale silberne Herzog Carl Eduard-Medaille mit Schwerterspange „1915“ und Datumspange für erneute tapferer Handlung mit Datum 18.10.1914 (OEK 2688/1), S
    • Sächsische Herzogtümer, SEHO Medaille Herzog Carl Eduard in Silber mit Schwerterspange „1914“ für Kriegsverdienst (OEK 2550)
    • Deutsches Reich 1933-45, Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer (OEK 3803/1)
    • Deutsches Reich 1933-45, Medaille zur Erinnerung an den 1. Oktober 1938 (OEK 3517), Br
    • Ungarn, 1. Weltkriegs-Erinnerungsmedaille

Very likely in WWI was a senior NCO, Feldwebel-Leutnant or even a leutnant d.R. when the war finished. Obviously in WWII was recalled to duty to be assigned to some administrative duties.

Thanks for looking into this matter and any comments are most appreciated! :)

ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio

Guest Rick Research

Interesting indeed and a VERY limited suspect pool--but will be people with NO way to tell what they did "afterwards." He's wearing--oddly enough--the uniform of an established Oberzahlmeister, NOT war's duration tabs, but wasn't career Wehrmacht OR civil service--no long service award of any type. There will be a very short list but that will be all given low WW1 rank and then the inability to follow a paper trail afterwards.

Guest Rick Research

You need to find a wartime regimental history for Inf Rgt 95 to confirm that he was not killed--

Heinrich GREINER CM2X 16.12.14 as Musketier 12./ IR 95, EH5bX 23.02.15 as Gefreiter "IR 95." The actual dates on the Spaangen were not given in the Rolls, so we caan only go by possible several months "in process" delays. :banger:

Heinrich Greiner, born in Neustadt, Coburg, was killed in action in August 1915 as an Unteroffizier with 10./IR 95. He was previously wounded in December 1914 or January 1915 as a Gefreiter in 10./IR 95. He is the only Coburger Heinrich Greiner I see in the casualty lists.

Guest Rick Research

DEFINITELY NOT. At about the halfway point adding actual dates on the CM2X bars... the only 1914 I've found was grnted in... 1916. Of 168 I've worked through (the online Coburg archive is a dreadful, wretched, miserable kerfluffle of multiple entries for the same awards that whoever did that could not tell were the SAME award, calling things by multiple names.. 5 entries to a page :banger::banger::banger::banger: ) only 103 actually show dates. NO DATES on the bars were in the Rolls I had to work with in 2007 for the 2008 book. Many of the EH5bX medaalss have no first name. match "Meier" or... the Greiner above who turn out to be TWO not ONE.

This is the profound problem with the idiotic German failure to list first names!!!!!!!!

I also don't get it from the Germans... so perfectionists, but in the end not so perfect... no first names... there were quite a lot of these: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_häufigsten_Familiennamen_in_Deutschland also back then!!! ...Maybe in the next 20 years there will be more other names like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_name

Edited by Claudio