News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Luftwaffe Badges from the 2013 MAX

Hi guys,

Here are four Luftwaffe badges that I bought at the MAX Show. I wasn't particularly looking for Luftwaffe badges, but I couldn't pass these up as they were priced right. Hope you like them.

Best regards,

Tom

The badges are:

Paratrooper Badge by G.H. Osang of Dresden

Paratrooper Badge by Berg & Nolte of Lüdenscheid

Air Gunner/Flight Engineer Badge by Wilhelm Deumer of Lüdenscheid

Flak Badge by E.Ferd. Wiedmann of Frankfurt am Main (wide-pin variation)

Morning, Tom.

Now that's what I call a shopping spree! I only wish we had shows like the "The Max" over here.

The "Osang" para is a bit of a strange one...The metals used are not what I would expect, but perhaps just down to being cleaned at some point.... everything else looks okay.

Managing to find the "Wiedmann" wide-pin was certainly the catch of the day...very nice.

Nice finds!

Morning, Tom.

Now that's what I call a shopping spree! I only wish we had shows like the "The Max" over here.

The "Osang" para is a bit of a strange one...The metals used are not what I would expect, but perhaps just down to being cleaned at some point.... everything else looks okay.

Managing to find the "Wiedmann" wide-pin was certainly the catch of the day...very nice.

Thanks for the replies, Scott and John.

John,

I agree with you that the Osang Paratrooper is a bit odd, but I like it all the same. The eagle is a very dark gray Kriegsmetall and there are only traces of gold finish that do not show in the photo. I like how the overall appearance of the badge mimics most other Luftwaffe qualification badges, having a dark gray eagle on a silver wreath. Tom Durante also looked this badge over at the MAX. Both he and I thought that the catch looks a bit too wide when compared to the normal catch found on Osang Paratrooper Badges. Tom Durante thinks the catch was possibly replaced. He may be correct, but when looking closely at the catch I do not really see any evidence of a replacement. But whether a replacement or not, I really do like the badge.

I will post some pictures of the catch and look forward to your opinion about it.

Thank you and best regards,

Tom

Hi John,

Here are some pictures of the catch on the Osang Paratrooper Badge.

As far as the wide-pin Wiedmann Flak goes, I saw two of them at the MAX Show. The one I opted to buy was not only in better condition but cheaper too.

Best regards,

Tom

Morning, Tom...

The catch and solder looks to be consistent with factory work... perhaps it's the way it's suffered an impact giving a different shape which has given rise to the theory of a possible replacement. For peace of mind, I've used a set of digital callipers to measure the width of catches on both my "Osang" para and LGAB, both have come out at 1.85mm. If you can, do a comparison and see what you come up with.

And speaking of "Wiedmann" flaks... If you don't already have one, your next search should be the heavy nickel plated version.

Morning, Tom...

The catch and solder looks to be consistent with factory work... perhaps it's the way it's suffered an impact giving a different shape which has given rise to the theory of a possible replacement. For peace of mind, I've used a set of digital callipers to measure the width of catches on both my "Osang" para and LGAB, both have come out at 1.85mm. If you can, do a comparison and see what you come up with.

And speaking of "Wiedmann" flaks... If you don't already have one, your next search should be the heavy nickel plated version.

Hi John,

I measured the width of the catch on my Osang Paratrooper Badge at it is 2.45mm. Its definitely not the "standard" Osang catch so I'm not exactly sure what this means. Maybe a factory replacement or possibly done this way initially with a non-standard catch? If it was a repair done after leaving the factory then it was sure one incredible repair job.

Thank you for posting pictures of your Wiedmann Flak. I don't think I've ever seen one in nicer condition.

Here are pictures of a needle-pin Wiedmann that I have. The zinc on this badge has taken on a plasticky appearance on the front. I have also attached pictures of another wide-pin Wiedmann that I have owned since the 70s. I've had a few other needle-pin Wiedmann's as well and all of mine had the logo at the center reverse. I've yet to get one with the logo on the lower left of the wreath like on yours.

Thank you & best regards,

Tom

Edited by tyanacek