News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

POLISH ORDER POLONIA RESTITUTA 1918

I'm not an expert, but I do know that Polish orders are heavily faked and that eagle enamel doesn't look like very good quality to me... I'd be cautious unless it came from an incredibly reliable source, but even then, I'd probably pass on this one. And I'm fairly certain only a few thousand awarded in all 5 classes.

Lambert back in the early 90s there was a Polish gentleman from Nottingham who had carrier bags full of Polish material much PRP but also quite a number of Polonia Restituta I didn't like the look of, most of them, like yours, had similar qualities to the PRP issues, almost as though they had had a 1918 substituted for a 1944, there were just over 2,400 5th classes awrded prior to WWII and unknown number issued by Polish forces in the West. I would pass and wait until a somewhat nicer example turns up.

Paul

What you have is a fourth class badge, the 1944 examples were issued from 1948. Records from the 1918-39 Republic are published (although whether they include honorary awards to foreigners I am not sure). From the Forces in West and PRP so far nothing, although possibly someone in Warsaw may be working on it.

Paul

They are certainly more common than the first two issues and large numbers came out of Poland following the end of Communist Rule (probably 10 decorations per pair of Levis or 200 Malboro) in the 1990s you could buy as many as you like for £20-30 each, whether they were issued in much larger numbers is difficult to say but I suspect like most Eastern European Orders and decorations large numbers were issued when the regime was starting to totter in the 1970s and 1980s. Documented examples of PRP issues are much harder to come by.

Paul

Lambert back in the early 90s there was a Polish gentleman from Nottingham who had carrier bags full of Polish material much PRP but also quite a number of Polonia Restituta I didn't like the look of, most of them, like yours, had similar qualities to the PRP issues, almost as though they had had a 1918 substituted for a 1944, there were just over 2,400 5th classes awrded prior to WWII and unknown number issued by Polish forces in the West. I would pass and wait until a somewhat nicer example turns up.

Paul

Hi Paul

I canceled the purchase of the piece (without specifying the reason). I will follow your advice and expect more unhurried ..

I watched other best photos of original pieces and realized that the numerous differences in the measurements of circles blue, eagle, the number "1918" and even the suspension loop of ribbon.

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers !

Lambert

5th Classe

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2013/post-11061-0-74153800-1382548745.jpeghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2013/post-11061-0-14386600-1382548754.jpeg

see the differences are clear in the photos.

Edited by lambert

Do they go for more money now(the officer class) than 30 lbs?

A documented piece would make a considerably more, unprovenanced no more than £40-50. Problem is that PRP material without documentation is widely available, I suspect quite a bit 'disappeared' from the manufacturers when the communist regime fell.

Paul