News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German military Grave Report form

Hello readers;

Only recently was the pictured form brought to my attention and is the first one of the kind to be seen by me.

What makes it very special to me is the sad fact of pertaining to the grave of my godfather, Obergefreiter Hermann Holste who lost his life during the last phase of the war on the Italian front leaving a widow and two little daughters. Contrary to German customs I have incorporated a middle initial ( H. for Hermann) in his memory.

The pictured form is called "Grabmeldung " or Grave Report and was to be applied by all military formations which made up the German Wehrmacht or German Armed Forces. It was to be made out in two copies, all questions to be answered, clear/legible writing or with fresh carbon if typewritten.

My uncle belonged to 3./Aufklaerungs Abteilung 1057 and died of abdominal wound on 15. April 1945. He was buried together with other comrades (Kameradengrab) near the south entry of the property House Number 196, near Via Emelia Kilometer 119 within the community Bergo Pernigale in the Province of Bologna.

This form was to be forwarded to the officer charged with administration of military losses. Why or how this form also found its way to our family is unknown but I would like to show it as a sample how this matter ws handled, at least when circumdtances allowed it.

My uncle Hermann found his last resting place at the German War Cemetery , Futa Pass.

Bernhard Hermann Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst

Very unusual, I have seen plenty of post war type letters etc, really poignant since it is family!

Helps to close the loop!

Also as Chris states so close but yet so far!

I have noted at our local war graves cemetery at Becklingen in Germany many allied soldiers that perhaps served with 7 Div through Africa, Italy, D-day fought their way to the dying days and still lucked out at the end, what a waste!

Jock:)

Edited by Jock Auld

At least in the early years of the war (maybe up to 1943?), this document must (usualy) have been forwarded together with a photo of the grave. That photo was then send together wit the condolence letter to the relatives.

Coincidentally these were in a WP I got today, there appears to have been some sort of Allied desk that dealt with the closure aspect? I can't make out the end of the title. Letter is dated 10/6/46 and appears to confirm his burial site. With it is the war time family condolence card so they were well aware he was dead and it is obviously in the WP too.

Jock:)

Hello Jock.

The pictured postcard was sent from the now called WAST located in Berlin which administers war deaths, burial and related matters and is the successor of the Wehrmacht department, having taken over the files and continuing related activities. At the time of despatch of the card ( 1946 ) it most likely was under Allied supervision therefore the stamp etc of Allied authority. It seems to me that this notification estabilishes the burial site which the original death notification propably did not contain, only a death notice.

The grave report posted by me has reached the family by unknown means, perhaps even very unoffially. My mother, (Hermann Holste was a brother ) did not receive notice until after the end of the war and so must have his widow.

Bernhard H. Holst