News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Latest - U.S. Navy GC (1923) WW1 group of 3 medals

army historian

The latest group. To Water Tender 1st Class William Paul Wehman. I beieve he served (1917-1920, & 1920-1924). Needs research yet.

1. Navy straight bar suspension NGC – Engraved named “C.S.C. / 51417 / WM. PAUL / WEHMAN / U.S. TORPEDO / STA. NEWPORT / R.I. / 27 APR 1923”
    2. WW1 Victory Medal (no bar),
    3. WW1 New Jersey Service Medal engraved named “Wm. Paul Wehman” running script. Ribbons on NGC and NJ WW1 Medals badly frayed.

This information came with the group: William Paul Wehman born 10 July 1891 in New Jersey served in WWI; he re-enlisted in April 1920 and was serving aboard the USS McKean DD-54? (DD-90) at Portsmouth New Hampshire at that time. He got married while in Portsmouth and was honorably discharged at Newport RI in 1923 (1924). The information in brackets I believe to be correct.

USS McKean (DD-90/APD-5) was a Wickes-class destroyer in the United States Navy during World War II. She was the first ship named in honor of William Wister McKean. McKean was laid down by Union Iron Works, San Francisco, California, 12 February 1918; launched 4 July 1918; and commissioned at San Francisco 25 February 1919.

This is too late for WW1 service, so I believe he may have served on DD-54 - The USS McDougal (Destroyer No. 54/DD-54) was an O'Brien-class destroyer built for the United States Navy prior to the American entry into World War I. After the United States entered World War I in April 1917, McDougal was part of the first U.S. destroyer squadron sent overseas. Patrolling the Irish Sea out of Queenstown, Ireland, McDougal made several unsuccessful attacks on U-boats, and rescued survivors of ships sunk by the German craft. After a collision with a British cargo ship in February 1918, McDougal was under repair until mid-July, and afterwards, operated out of Brest, France. Upon returning to the United States after the war, McDougal conducted operations with the destroyers of the Atlantic Fleet until August 1919, when she was placed in reserve, still in commission.

I also found a family protrat of his family taken in 1899 (he was 8 years old at the time).

Captain Albert

Edited by army historian

George,

Nice group the naval LSGCs are one of my favourite US medals as they give so much information.

I hope you can restore the ribbons as they were the ones he wore, if you have to re-ribbon then keep the originals with the group, so many collectors these days discard original tatty ribbons and replace them with nylon blasphemies.

Paul

Yes Paul, I know exactly what you mean. I always save the original ribbons, and keep them with the medal. I hate to re-ribbon especially US. I have had some luck in restoring originals (where possible). Here is an example of a really fraded ribbon. This ribbon was special, as it was one of the short duration types. Check out the pictures. Captain Albert

• 1 month later...