News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The below bar has been narrowed down to 3 Naval Officers listed below. Since there has been a lot going on with the Finnish award rolls can anyone see if any of these officers had an award from Findland? Thanks

I doubt there's a list for the Independence War Medal.

Best bet might be the Crew Chroniks for their Seekadett years, which even if they don't list awards (most don't) may have more detailed bios which will tell you if they were in Finland. I don't see 1900 or 1904 in the Ancestry collection. Did Rick not have hard copies of those years?

I have not found any of the names in my sources , but Navy is always more complicated than Army...

They have quite high rank (Kapitänleutnant) so I think they will turn up if they where in Finland .

I would expect a FK3X on the ribbon bar for a rank like that , but maybe he was in sort of staff or similar ?

I keep on looking

Christer

Hmm, Yes you are right Dave ,

I found all three and Georg Fett was in

Torpedoinspektion, Referent für Funkentelegraphie in April 1918 he was earlier on Torpedoboot S 147

Hermann Kranefuss was Navigationsoffizier on SMS KronPrinz Wilhelm in spring 1918 I´m not sure if the Kronprinz was in the Baltic Sea in April 1918 ?

Gustav Wehr was Wachoffizier on SMS Moltke in February 1918 and she was in drydock for repair from Late April.

I would bet my money on Georg Fett ;) I can´t find any Finnish awards to him , but of the three he could have been in the Baltic sea in 1918.

I will keep on looking and see if I find something

I found another Naval Officer Leisler Kiep KapitänLeutnant who had a Finnisch Freiheitskreuz ? I dont know what grade , does anyone know anything about him ?

Christer

Edited by christerd

Christer, thanks. Louis Leisler Kiep's medalbar was sold in a recent Theis auction (see below).

It would be nice to have access to the service records of the Navy officers. I understand that they survived the second war because they were not in Berlin. Has anyone every seen a service record of a WWI Navy officers? Can anyone confirm where the records are?

Edited by Paul C