News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

One of several items from the SOS. This was on a Bayern pre-1914 Hauptmann's tunic. It does not go with the tunic. It is a 9 place bar to a Navy officer. The ribbons are 1914 EK2, Hindenburg, Red Eagle Order, Prussian Crown Order, Prussian 25 year long service, China campaign with "Tientsin" clasp, 1916 King Ludwig and Bayern Price Regent Leopold ribbon. Per the "Master" the bar is for Navy officers, if I remember correctly a Korvettkaptian, for the reason that the Tientsin clasp was only given to Navy men who serve on ship at the port of Tientsin. Also due to the Red Eagle and Crown order probable Korvettkaptian. The guy was probable a native of Bayern because of the two Bayern awards. The back is very interesting in that the pin does not go the full width and probable the EK and Hindenburg were late add ons. Stay tune for an ID aS working on it.

Why Bavarian officer ? Like we don't find MVO4b or MVO4a. Ok, there is Jubilee medal.But it is interresting to note that no war Bavarian medals are hereon the bar. It's strange. I can't really see the back, blue or not blue ? I'm waiting the answer of the "Master".

Christophe

PS : the bar is great Paul, very nice indeed

Guest Rick Research

It can only be naval because of the "Tientsin" bar-- the army had not arrived yet.

The difficulty is that "Tientsin" is a bar that many odd detached personnel received, trying to hold a "beachhead," as it were, for the first abortive (Seymour Expedition) relief of Peking. So there is not any way to tell simply by ship, who was actually there IN the city under siege and who was not.

We know he was a bavarian citizen from the Luitpold 1911-12 jubilee medal, which Bavarian subjects in the navy and imperial land forces who were NOT eligible for the 1905 version, received. Unfortunately, the navy did not show this jubilee medal or all our lives would be simpler. :banger:

I don't turn up anybody in the zur Sees, and suspect he was one of several naval engineers (could be a Crown 3 or Crown 4 with REO4)--

but, again :banger: the Ludwig Cross was not shown in rank Lists EITHER.

The "combatant" Iron Cross (which may indeed be a "black white ribbon" noncombatant since there are no Xs on the Hindenburg ribbon) and "rear area" Ludwig suggest someone on the home front, away from actual combat.

• 5 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

That might be, but since he chose to mount his awards in "Reichs" precedence, the lowly Ludwig Cross NEXT to it suggests a 1911 Jubilee. There is still no way to "find" him with this combination of invisible awards.