News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Capt. J. A. Benyon, Ld. Strathcona's Horse, Latest Aquisition

Good Morning Everyone.....

Just thought that I would post a few pictures of my latest acquisition.....

Lieutenant Joseph Andrew Benyon, Lord Strathcona's Horse

Queen's South Africa Medal - Natal / Orange Free State / Transvaal (Also entitled to South Africa 1901)

[The rank on the medal is Captain which is the rank he held in the RCA]

Benyon was a Regular Army Officer who took a reduction in rank at the request of the Commanding Officer to be able to serve with the Strathcona's.

There is a rumor that he may have been the regimental intelligence officer, but have not been able to verify that yet.

He was in command of the Machine Gun Section for a period of time.

He has the Transvaal bar and is entitled to the Belfast but since you cannot have them both he has the Transvaal only. There were 19 Transvaal bars awarded to the Strarthcona Horse.

He was M.I.D'd twice, June 6th, 1900 and November 9th, 1900, for "Performed Acts of Bravery and Dangerous Duties".

Then also he has the Silver Edward VII Coronation medal, one of 25 silvers awarded to Canadians out of 633 medals issued.

Let the research begin.

Oh yes for you who are wondering "It Was" a Dated Medal but the dates have been removed and it is not a shadow date, you can actually see and feel the indentation on the medal where the dates would have been.

You can see in the photo's that there is the inverted apostrophe which was a mistake made during the naming of the first issue of the medals to the Strathcona's.

Mike

P.S. Just previewed the post and I saw an error that I made in the photos, it should be Coronation and then QSA.....

Edited by QSAMIKE

Good Morning Mervyn......

No the Strathcona's did not leave South Africa till January 20th, 1901 (when they boarded the s.s. Lake Erie).....

They did not arrive back in Canada via England till March 8th, 1901.....

and

The regiment was disbanded March 9th, 1901......

Mike

P.S. Mervyn do you know where I can get about 12 inches of the SA Police Faithful Service Medal as shown below...... Thanks......

Edited by QSAMIKE

Good Morning Chris.....

If it had the dates I could not have afforded it LOL.......

Anyway I already have 2 dated medals LOL..... What would I want with another, tongue sticking in cheek.......

All of the Officer medals that I have seen with the exception of 1 (and that was a late issue) have had the dates removed.......

Mike

Mike

You've made me break whichever commandment covers 'covet' again! And I'm not a covetous sort of guy, normally. That has got to be the non-plus-ultra of Canadian colonial medals, with the possible exception of the three Cdn. VCs fro that war. Well done and thanks for sharing!

• 9 years later...

Hello!

Wonderful to find this! The medals were my Great-Grandfather’s, Capt. Joseph Andrew Benyon, on my mother’s side. I’m just happy to read anything about him. This is the first I have found. Thank you so much. 
    I’m sorting old photos and trying to make sense of them. Not a spring chicken myself and the rest of my immediate family are gone. Nice to know the ancestors are remembered.

Hello Annette.......

At least you will know that they will be well looked after......    Would love to see some other photos of Joseph if you find any.....  '

Mike

• 2 months later...

Mike,

I do have possibly one slightly better quality picture of Joseph Andrew Benyon that is the same, and one that is of he and his wife, Blanche Thibaudeau, of Quebec. They were married in 1893. Those are the only photos I have found at this point. I hope I will be able to post them here for you.

Thank you for your response!

Annette

Blanche Thibaudeau and Joseph Andrew Benyon 1893.jpg

Joseph Andrew Benyon - Boer War.jpg

7 hours ago, Annette Schuneman said:

Mike,

I do have possibly one slightly better quality picture of Joseph Andrew Benyon that is the same, and one that is of he and his wife, Blanche Thibaudeau, of Quebec. They were married in 1893. Those are the only photos I have found at this point. I hope I will be able to post them here for you.

Thank you for your response!

Annette

Blanche Thibaudeau and Joseph Andrew Benyon 1893.jpg

Joseph Andrew Benyon - Boer War.jpg

Nice crispy photos

Hi Annette

Thank You very much for the better pictures......  I will change the one that I have on his file......   Was up at the LSH Museum yesterday and have requested any photos of him and a couple of other members of the regiment if anything shows up I will post them......

Mike

Dear Mike,

Sorry to trouble you with updating your file again, but I found a photo I think you will like even better. This one appears to have been taken later in my Great-grandfather's career and he seems to be wearing two of the medals you have! It is also nice to see officer's pith helmet on the table. I'm think this will be the last of the pictures since he died in 1914 at the age of 45, apparently still in service that day in London.

Thank you for being a part of this exploration with me. His son was a Grenadier Guard during WWI but no medals that I'm aware of.

Best wishes,

Annette

JosephAndrewBenyonSt.thumb.jpg.0ab81d05e94ff1cdc6e775d6e436c894.jpg 

Hi Annette......

As far as I am concerned the gathering of information and the saving of that information is the reason that we are here with this hobby, To keep the man alive.....   His son what was his name I have found a John W, Benyon but he was in the CEF and joined in the United States.......

Thank You Very Much......

Mike

On 21/07/2023 at 08:30, QSAMIKE said:

As far as I am concerned the gathering of information and the saving of that information is the reason that we are here with this hobby, To keep the man alive.

Very nicely stated Yes I agree