News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EKII Packet, Real or Fake?

The color difference between the 2 sides appears to be due to long exposure to light.

On the down side, the chance that an object could lie in one spot on it to cause the color changes isn't likely in a well ordered environment. If it were the shape of an EK it would be much more believeable :D

I'll PM Marcus for comments :beer:

Thanks, Darrell :beer: I got it from a quite knowledgeable collector and member who's definitely not in it for the money. I'm sure he too would be very interested in any comments.

BTW, I have some huge scans of it (old WAF hands will know what I mean :cheeky: ) I can post or e-mail if desired.

Edited by Tom Y

Hi

This was mine. I think/thought it has obviously "been there" but from the reaction on the auction thread it seems that "there" may not actually be the "there" that I am supposing.

I am all ears on this. If I remember correctly t came from a rather woolly dealer in Toronto in the early 90's, but he was not known for having a lot of good stuff...

Tom

I also have been caught out with this type of packet. I bought a bunch of envelopes from a well known dealer which included a few of these type of Ek2s in the bunch. Some were faded and worn others were mint.

Marcus has conducted some excellent research into this area and I hope he can enlighten us all

Hi guys,

This packet is a fake, very good by comparison, the paper is near perfect in the regard to 'other' origional examples, the designation is also believable.

The way to spot these is the lettering though and the spacing between the numerals (there are numerous original designation variations and numeral types, spacing close and more seperated of course etc etc). In addition to the recognition alone, it is an unmarked packet and always has this left hand fold (again, not ALL fakes have left hand folds, several genuine counterparts have this trait too, it also true to say most fakes have the right hand fold)

They come in blue and tan colours, always evident in multiple batches at most shows from Stuttagrt to Birmingham they are a plenty with fake sellers and the 'better' dealers, Detlev had one not so long ago.

I had conducted the same ink and paper age testing as done on the Hansen-Hausen West Wall packets some time ago for a conclusive conclusion on these for me. The results came back that they are without any reasonable doubt post war packets, ink and paper ! I had several tested, not just my examples.

I do have an article for this forum, and will post it very soon on recognition of the larger size EK packet designations and some variants of maker marks to be found.

Kr

Marcus

The two other packets look to be fine though, if thats any consolation.

Thanks, Marcus. I've withdrawn the EK packet, but the other 2 stand.

live and learn :speechless:

Guest Darrell

Thanks, Marcus. I've withdrawn the EK packet, but the other 2 stand.

live and learn :speechless:

Don't feel bad Tom ... almost like Floches, everyone at one time has owned one of these packets :blush: