News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello everyone:

This is a very unusual item. It is rare to see three (3) MVK ribbons together on a field ribbon bar (MVKII m. Schw. u. Kr., MVKII m. Schw., and MVKIII m. Schw.). This was to a Gold or Silver MVM/TKM recipient and was his pre-1934 field ribbon bar, to which he added the War Honor Cross with Swords. This is without a doubt an NCO/enlisted man's field ribbon due to the MVKIII m. Schw. ribbon. An interesting item.

Best regards,

It is probably "incorrect" no matter what because there is almost no scenario where one could properly wear three MVO/MVK ribbons with swords, especially without a China/SWA/Kolonial-Denkmünze. But many veterans broke that rule. There are photos of a Wehrmacht general, whose name escapes me, wearing both his 4th Class with Swords and 4th Class with Crown and Swords, both awarded in World War I.

I do not think it is a pure NCO's ribbon bar, mainly due to the lack of a long service.

More likely, he was a Kriegsfreiwilliger or the like, and received the MVK 3rd Class early in the war. Commissioned early- to mid-war, he then received the 4th Class with Swords as a Leutnant der Reserve. Both of these could be worn together under Bavarian regulations. Then, late in the war for repeated acts of bravery, he received the Crown to the 4th Class, and chose to wear it as well, rather than in place of the 4th Class as regulations provided.

An example of all three is Leutn.d.R. Bernhard Köhler, *30.12.1882 in Greiz. MVK3X on 9.1.16, MVO4X on 28.6.16, MVO4XKr on 6.12.18. No Bravery Medal, though.

Another close match is Franz Solbrig, Leutn.d.R. d. Fliegertruppe, *10.9.1896 in Hammerunterwiesen. MVK3XKr on 21.5.16, MVO4X on 18.9.18, MVO4XKr on 26.11.18, silb. Tapferkeitsmedaille on 25.6.19. So the same as the ribbon bar, except for the lack of a crown on the 3rd Class.

Hello,

a very interesting bar. It would be possible, that the bar belongs to Solbrig. He awarded this decorations, the EK1 and the Flugzeugführerabzeichen.

A long service officer would have more decorations,
    I don't think that this bar belongs to a doctor. The ribbon is also used for the Militär-Sanitäts-Orden.

regards Andreas