News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

US Military Mission name for Iraq/Syria?

mariner

Can anyone explain to me why the US are still yet to name their mission for operation in Iraq/Syria?

Has this ever happened before?

I had always assumed that a computer programme churned out mission names at will?

Possibly... but I think everyone is on the same side of the fence on this one....

Domestic politics. Operations "code names" are intended to influence public opinion. The US has an election on 2 Nov. The White House is tip-toeing around something that they are reluctant to "own" - you name it, you own it. Of course, the Pentagon denies this is the reason; Google will result in many recent press articles on the topic.

There has been lots of snarky commentary inside the Beltway on this subject. Here's Foreign Policy SitRep's latest:

The response to my request for names of the US mission against IS was overwhelming. It's hard to draw any conclusions from the names offered, but I will say this: SitRep has an engaged, intelligent and global audience (I got responses from all over the world), and the names offered up show a huge disparity in opinion. Some show resolve, while others reflect a growing criticism - one might say cynicism - of Obama's strategy. Some of the best are below; email me if you'd like to receive the full list.

Operation Empty Chair; Operation Oops, Sorry About That; Operation Good Intentions; Operation Seriously? Again?; Operation Passive-Aggressive; Operation Coalition of the Dragged Kicking and Screaming; Operation Did I Leave My Keys Here?; Operation Slam Dunk; Operation IS you IS, or IS you Ain't? Operation Syri-ous about Iraqi Freedom; and Operation Iraqi Freedom 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Inherent Resolve, it is then....agreed? Now what about a medal? Initially the DoD stated that the ICM would not be issued, but that troops involved would get the GWOT as part of OEF (not sure how that worked, but never mind), now the DoD is pulling away from the GWOT idea? Does this mean a new medal will be awarded?

I seriously doubt they will do a new campaign medal for this one... Just because an operation has a name, doesn't mean it gets a unique campaign medal.

The Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal was the only medal for URGENT FURY (Grenada), JUST CAUSE (Panama), RESTORE HOPE (Somalia) and several others.

I suspect they will circle back around to the GWOT Expeditionary Medal. While the executive order was issued with the beginning of OEF, the order does not limit service to Afghanistan (and there is a specific campaign medal for Afghanistan). The wording of the GWOT Expeditionary Medal executive order already includes Syria with no end date; Iraq was authorized through 2011 - they just would need to add new eligibility dates. The list of countries is actually fairly long.

This is actually important and has more significance than just another ribbon on the row...since some benefits from the Veterans Administration (such as disability for military service connected injuries/illness) can be tied to campaign participation recognized by a campaign medal. Of course, regardless of campaign medal credit, serving in "combat" qualifies for benefits as well.

I hope they don't do another medal. The US already has far too many medals / ribbons, many of which have relatively little significance. The bottom half of most racks are ribbons for events like completion of training, routine peacetime deployments, etc. Let 's get rid of them. This campaign should surely be recognized, but with a star on an existing medal ribbon.

• 4 weeks later...