News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

All the leather uniforms, with the long jacket, used by the surface unit were the same that the used by the u-boat crews, but as all KL white cap is from a u-boat kommandant, all grey leather uniform is from a "grey wolf". The price is not the same.

Hello

Are you saying, just because they are grey leather does not mean they have come from a u-boat man.Dealers see grey leather and say U-BOAT thinking they will sell better or for more money.Helmut wietze has got a black leather all in one suit and he says"used by u-boat crews" it may have been ,but it may have been used by other kriegsmarine branches too. In a u-boat soldbuch the leather suit is listed as being a U-Bootpackchen.What is its name in a normal kriegsmarine soldbuch?

Best Regards Richard

Edited by Richard Sysum

Hello

I collect mainly u-boat docs and paper work.I am just trying to widen my collecting to make a nice display but cannot be sure if these trousers are from a u-boat crewman.So I may have to make do with buying them and saying they are a pair of trousers of the type used by u-boat men.I may be able to get a leather jacket or a light weight denim work jacket at a later date and mix and match much like u-boat crewmen used to..

Best Regards Richard..

Yeah, that was pretty much my point. Of course they were of a type used by U-boat crews but they were also used by crews of surface craft.

I once found an almost intact pair of black leather trousers, other than all the stitching had gone, lying on the beach next to where Tirpitz was sunk. They went straight off to the local museum. There's always odd bits of leather uniform pieces tangled up in the seaweed up there.

• 3 months later...

hiya,

Here is a pair that i have come accross with an eagle and M stamped on them high up on the waist area. maybe u-boat?

the makers label has worn away, however they look pretty genuine.

cheers stephen.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Hello,

The grey leather pants and jackets, either long or short version were worn by BOTH the surface fleet and U-boats , there was no difference in leather outfits . The black leather pants and jackets were pre war and was replaced by the grey leathers sometime in 1941 , the black leather outfit was still worn by those that already had them till the end of the war .

Watch out ! these leatherpants and jackets are heavily reproduced and are museum quality with the only difference is the grey color is too greenish looking . There is a reason there are more grey leather jackets and pants then there were u-boat crews at the end of the war is that the post war German land police had a very similar leather outfit ! The market is flooded with these late 50's early 60's jackets with real or reproduced gold KM buttons attached , this is why so many dealers said the threads rotted off and the buttond had to be sewn back on ! A lot of these jackets did not have the leather wrist straps on the cuffs and the length is different on the longer version jacket and most do not have the strap along the back of the waist on the back of the jacket .

Something to look out for when buying " u-boat " or KM leather clothing , if the cloth tag has the word " Baujahr " lncluded on the tag this is a museum quality reproduction ! The maker added this so a true collector would know that this was a repro . " Baujahr is NEVER used on clothing , this is incorrect German ! You can used " baujahr " for Tanks , cars , airplanes and buildings , but not on cloths . I have seen many U-boat leather items with this tag and they ranged from Fresh " never issued " to very aged " worn " . Watch out for the wear on these cloths , the wear in too even all over ... chemicals and some poker chips or walnut shells in a tumbler and in no time you have aged u-boat leather pants 60 years !