News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Odd looking wooden soled boots?

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen these sold as "KZ" boots.... Have also seen similar things sold as "rare WW1 ersatz" boots... I am guessing they were simply made to save crucial war material... for people in non essential jobs

​Chis,

These were from an attic in Falingbostel near where Stalag XIB was at Örbke.  I have asked Kev the curator of the local museum what he thinks and he stated that some of the veterans that visit anually had worn these as replacements for their issue boots, in fact one of the guys marched 900Km from the East in them and lost 2 toes in the process.  he thinks as you that they were an economy effort for non essential folk.

• 2 years later...

Hello : appears to be Holzschuhe , Liliane and Fred Funken in one of their books , shows a figure of an old Volksturmann wearing the woodshoes and said that their rough aspect they were comfortables . perhaps with a pair of thick pure wool socks