News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

visor cap to restore, help please

There is a bloke called 'BenVK', I think he is on WRF and possibly WAF as well, he has a reputation for being able to sort this sort of thing out and by all accounts he is very good at it.  Give him a spin and see what he thinks?

Why not just keep it on a "head" and/ or pad it out with card and paper and just let it resume it's natural shape over a bit of time. I don't see any kind of problem with this cap that requires anything more drastic drastic than that  like water, steam, leather softeners etc. It looks like a very simple to deal with problem if a problem at all.

Edited by leigh kitchen

I agree with Leigh; no need for more drastic action. I have had good success bringing caps back to shape by tightly inserting a common sponge, that I buy in auto parts stores here in the states.  Over time, the shape returns; if the cap is a small size, I cut down the sponge to fit.

With patience, this cap should return to the correct shape, although it may take at least a month or two, based upon my experience.   Good luck.

BobS

If I may add, here is a cap that was almost flat when I received it, and I used the sponge to bring it back to shape. It will hold it's shape pretty well without the sponge, but I still keep one inserted, for display purposes. The cap is a 1920's U.S. Army Cavalry enlisted dress visor.

BobS

DSCN2805.JPG

DSCN2800.JPG

Why not just keep it on a "head" and/ or pad it out with card and paper and just let it resume it's natural shape over a bit of time. I don't see any kind of problem with this cap that requires anything more drastic drastic than that  like water, steam, leather softeners etc. It looks like a very simple to deal with problem if a problem at all.

​This idea should work, at least partly.  But it will certainly need the general humidity of the hat increased.  If it is dried out, like I suspect it is, it will retain this shape indefinitely.

But adding moisture can be perilous to the piece if the moisture is then not removed.  It needs to be a three part process.

1) Slowly add humidity to the hat, one method is to have it several times in the bathroom where you take hot steamy showers.

2) Gently form the hat back to the correct shape and stuff with clean rags to hold that shape.

3) the most important of all is that you must actively REMOVE the humidity from the hat.  Don't let it just sit and dry out.  Otherwise you just activated every mold spore in the felt and threads and gave it the precious water they need to flourish.  The hat will become a mess in weeks.  Put it in a small room next to a dehumidifier.  50% is a low setting, but go for lower, like 40.

IMO, Don't do step 1, if you can't do step 3.

Good luck!

Edited by Claudius

Thanks folks,

a lot of good advice, I think I´ll try the spong, thus I can´t cause greater damages. Later I´ll

try it with a small glass head. I´ll show you the result.

Thanks to all of you, very appreciated.

Kind regards
    Andreas

• 4 weeks later...