News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need Some Info re: Cron?s Imperial German Army

Hi all ? questions, questions, questions ? that?s what I do!

First ? if you need frustration in your life ? try to get this book! I?ve made 6 attempts thru Abebooks and every listing was a bust! Several took their sweet time before returning ?Don?t Have? message. One confirmed availability then changed their minds and one is still showing available after returning a direct message to me that they didn?t.

There is only one left claiming to have the volume but at a whopping 30% higher than the others previously listed.

The listings make it unclear if this is a new edition of the English language tome or simply imprecise listing and a big mark-up.

IMPERIAL GERMAN ARMY, 1914-1918 (ISBN: 1874622701)

HERRMAN CRON, DUNCAN ROGERS

Price: US$ 62.14

[Convert Currency] Shipping within United Kingdom:

US$ 4.14

IMPERIAL GERMAN ARMY 1914-18: ORGANISATION, STRUCTURE, ORDERS-OF-BATTLE

Cron, H.

Price: US$ 80.01

Questions are ? is this worth doing considering the price AND are these both the same?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

I dont know if its the same.... but a Cron is a MUST HAVE for anyone interested in Imperial German.

For the info in it, the price is totally justified. Even better if hard cover of course......

Hi all ? questions, questions, questions ? that?s what I do!

First ? if you need frustration in your life ? try to get this book! I?ve made 6 attempts thru Abebooks and every listing was a bust! Several took their sweet time before returning ?Don?t Have? message. One confirmed availability then changed their minds and one is still showing available after returning a direct message to me that they didn?t.

There is only one left claiming to have the volume but at a whopping 30% higher than the others previously listed.

The listings make it unclear if this is a new edition of the English language tome or simply imprecise listing and a big mark-up.

IMPERIAL GERMAN ARMY, 1914-1918 (ISBN: 1874622701)

HERRMAN CRON, DUNCAN ROGERS

Price: US$ 62.14

[Convert Currency] Shipping within United Kingdom:

US$ 4.14

IMPERIAL GERMAN ARMY 1914-18: ORGANISATION, STRUCTURE, ORDERS-OF-BATTLE

Cron, H.

Price: US$ 80.01

Questions are ? is this worth doing considering the price AND are these both the same?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

What may be worrying is how good the translation is.

If you can, a German copy may be the way to go as it is chock-a-block full of important terms. I have not seen the English translation, but there are many, many things that must have been very difficult to translate.... I hope the translater got it "Right".

Guest Rick Research

Ah, but he has the

Curse Of Cron

and cannot get it anywhere, from anybody, evn those claiming to have it in stock. :speechless1:

Thanks for a great & fast reply Chris!

I'm taking a chance on the outside hope that this seller will have it! Normally Abebooks is great but this one has been rough.

I agree with your language assessment but will use the German language fall back in the event of another "miss".

Besides - if a real translator goofs it up - I don't have a chance!

If you would please indulge me one more time - am I safe in assuming that having Cron would render buying Nash's Imperial German Army Handbook 1914-1918 unnecessary?

Thanks again,

Wayne

Ah, but he has the

Curse Of Cron

and cannot get it anywhere, from anybody, evn those claiming to have it in stock. :speechless1:

I think they named a disease after this problem - actually - that's not funny - I know an individual afflicted with it and it is miserable. That said - trying to get this book has caused Rick to listen to huge amounts of whining!

I dont have the Nash book, but Cron is essential for, amongst other things, the condensed evolutions of the branches of service.

i.e., how the compositions of the units changed during the war, how things were formed, altered, replaced, fell away.

The German is essential because in many cases, if you have an English translation and original German docs... you may not be able to figure out what he is talking about.

Try translating "Fernsprechdoppelzug". If you have an EK doc with that on, you may have a hard time figuring out it is the "Telephone combination section" in the English translation.

Maybe an English AND German copy used in tandem is the answer..... ;-)

i.e., how the compositions of the units changed during the war, how things were formed, altered, replaced, fell away.

There is not a wasted word or line in Cron. Condensed and as dry as the perfect fart. by no means an easy bedtime read.

David introduced me to it, and it was "WoW!!!!" an eye opener on many levels...

The 2002 english language version by Helion and Company is ISBN: 1874622701. Translated by C.F. Colton, MA. No mention of Duncan Rogers though.

If you have patience they come up on Ebay once in a while. Got mine for around $30.00

:Cat-Scratch:

Edited by David S

Wayne,

the Nash book is basically a reprint of a period British Army intelligence manual. It deals in general terms with recruiting, officer & NCO selection/training, the various branches including medical and veterinary services, some details on ordnance and uniforms. It does not contain order of battle material other than an overview of the peacetime corps areas.

It is not without errors and although interesting it is not indispensible and I would recommend Cron. I have the German language edition which as Chris alludes to is rather dry stuff but very useful.

Regards

Glenn

Hi Christophe,

Thank you for your offer but French is not one of my languages. I do have some proficiency in German and that would be my best bet per all of the advice given.

I have made one last attempt and it is too late to cancel the order. If I am unlucky again - I will give a shot at the German language edition.

Thanks again,

Wayne

Hi,

The best thing for you is to read the Cron in german. If you can read french, I can give you some books about the subject.

Christophe

Glenn,

I appreciate the insight.

I was looking for a comparison between Cron & Nash to see if they are nominally equivalent.

Your response and that of Christophe & Chris B all make it evident that they are not at all equal. I shall continue to try to get Cron confident that it is a quality reference.

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne,

the Nash book is basically a reprint of a period British Army intelligence manual. It deals in general terms with recruiting, officer & NCO selection/training, the various branches including medical and veterinary services, some details on ordnance and uniforms. It does not contain order of battle material other than an overview of the peacetime corps areas.

It is not without errors and although interesting it is not indispensible and I would recommend Cron. I have the German language edition which as Chris alludes to is rather dry stuff but very useful.

Regards

Glenn

Edited by W McSwiggan

Nafzigers ' press brought out a soft cover book last year that summarizes Cron well- and adds all sorts of odd tidbits. The English is stilted, but it's worth the money.

Cron was available from the History Bookseller only a few months ago for @ $35. US.n

Edited by Ulsterman

Great lead & thanks - will be my next stop if present attempt fails.

Nafzigers ' press brought out a soft cover book last year that summarizes Cron well- and adds all sorts of odd tidbits. The English is stilted, but it's worth the money.

Cron was available from the History Bookseller only a few months ago for @ $35. US.n

Need a new favorite whine now.

Wouldn?t you know ? after ordering (in forlorn hope) one last try ? Cron in English ? you guys convinced me to seek the German language edition. Naturally ? the last try worked and I am the proud owner of the English edition. I?m delighted ? I think. Whoever said this was dry is a master of understatement! Can?t wait to tell Mom that I?ve finally bought a book completely devoid of pictures. Not even a diagram! I?m becoming an intellectual methinks! This will take a while to digest before I can make any definitive statements but the translation seems pretty well done so far.

Thanks again for all your advice and encouragement on this one ? clearly a valuable reference!