News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Waffen SS helmet

I haven't actually bought it yet it's been offered to me, usually by the time I make up my mind to buy something it's already gone!  The Wehrmacht awards site says in their words a made in China piece of "Junk". If it is a fake it's a very good one, not what I would call a piece of "Junk". If it is a fake from China how comes the internet isn't flooded with them? Even if you could find an original they would cost a fortune, there is an original on sale on the Weitze militaria website exactly the same other than the makers mark for 6500 euros! A nice museum quality reproduction like the one I posted would be a nice affordable edition to someone's collection, assuming it is a reproduction.

Dennis

Edited by stig58

Yep, looks like a Chinese repro to me too. I have one in the loft that just really needs throwing away. The shape is completely wrong - look at the skirt angle below the vent. And the vent,,,,well, just wrong. These new repros are easily available on ebay etc and are very cheap but better to go for the more expensive ones that, at least, look the right shape before you go trying to age and paint up.

I agree that originals are soooo expensive and risky to buy due to the forgeries and that repros are a pretty good alternative. But go for a good one or an original helmet that's been restored. Good quality ones can be up to £500 but keep away from the junk.   

I have told the seller all this information, however he is still insistent that it is genuine, he claims to have purchased it on one of his many trips to Poland, and has had it verified as ORIGINAL by two military experts confirming it's authenticity! He further points out that the later German helmets were not the same quality as the early ones, does he have a point. And a question from me did the Germans export their old used helmets to the Chinese or did the Chinese manufacture their own? I have posted two pictures of original helmets one Chinese and one Germant, I personally cant see a lot of difference, maybe the Chinese helmet is less rounded then the German one?

large.chinese-helmet.jpg.9c334920c50412c

large.helmet-real.jpg.083e8beef6b4708c1b

Stig,

There are three distinct phases in combat helmet production the 35. 40 and 42.

If this were to be taken as the real deal it would have to be a 35 which it is not. The separate vent hole that it seeks to copy is the biggest give away.  

If you consider this vendor a good source then you should cease trading and have anything you have bought from them checked out on as many fora as is possible just to be sure if you do not trust our opinion.

Yes there were export models of the M35 made for China but I don't like the look of that one mainly since the area where the decal is has a dark patch centered exactly where the decal is and it is a lot brighter than the area that appears to have been reworked?  What do you think?

I don't know enough about SS stickers but the side on view of the chinstrap buckle rules that part out for me and therefore the lid.

Stig

Jock is quite right, the SS helmet in your first post is a very bad copy of an M35 (1935). It is not a copy of the later M40 or M42 as the vents were integral in the helmet press. The decals will be wrong on closer inspection, the helmet maker stamps will be wrong. I even went up into the loft to find the helmet to quote the lot number but I must have already binned it in a rage at ordering such a bad copy over the internet.  

Please do NOT buy this. The dealer is trying to confuse things talking about supply of helmets to China. The seller, his two experts and the helmet are not genuine. We've all had our trousers pulled down in the past, me more than most by the way, you do not need to quiz the seller any further. Walk away.  

I have not purchased the helmet, on something I know nothing about I wouldn't, therefore the many questions on this and other forums. The seller is adamant it's genuine and has complete faith in his experts. I put the question about the Chinese connection not the seller. I invited the seller and his experts to put their expertise to the test on this and other websites. I have heard nothing yet, I hope they do it would make an interesting debate!

Stig

• 2 weeks later...

The  Waffen, as said is junk, the liner isn't even German. You used to be able to check decals with a uv light, some new collectors may not know gents. Stig the initial German/ Chinese contract for a supply of M35's is well documented and their use post W2 on the net.

Eric