News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bearskin-restoration project

Erm well my little project has arrived and despite appearances is actually not as bad as anticipated(hopeless optimist)

I was thinking from the sellers pictures that it would need dyeing but actually the discolouration isn't as bad as it seemed and although noticeable I'm inclined to leave it alone. Next step is getting a liner made. And I also need to make sure I have the bearskin the right way round on the frame :rolleyes:. The skin has been cut so some repairs will need to be made as well. But it's all good. It's fine, I can do this :wacky: Nothing like a fixer upper is there? :speechless:

Alli

1470214_10153451871647543_2739260716181071567_n.jpg

947376_10153451871807543_2338993356346400108_n.jpeg

Just now, Jerry B said:

A shame there is no date letter under the WD arrow marks.

I don't suppose the old water spray test would work on leather?, it can work wonders when it comes to revealing worn dates on cotton beret liners. Just a thought ;)

Just now, Jerry B said:
    Just now, Trooper_D said:

Fascinating! This is the first time I have seen the inside of a bearskin, Alli, thanks for posting it. What kind of lining should it have?

Here's a photo of one :-

ori_5845_967956801_1138528_005.jpg

5 minutes ago, Trooper_D said:

Fascinating! This is the first time I have seen the inside of a bearskin, Alli, thanks for posting it. What kind of lining should it have?

Thanks, its my pleasure, I have wanted one for a long time!

Thread here on war relics with a fab picture of the liner 

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/cloth-headgear-western-allies/long-live-bearskin-cap-531791/

5 minutes ago, AndyGPR said:

I don't suppose the old water spray test would work on leather?, it can work wonders when it comes to revealing worn dates on cotton beret liners. Just a thought ;)

I'll give it a go tomorrow, I'm emailing and PMing you, brace yourself your about to get Alli'd :o

• 3 weeks later...
    6 hours ago, 74Squadrongirl said:

All finished, it's been a labour of love but I'm really happy with the final result.

Alli

Nice job, Alli - well worth the effort! Have you tried it on, yet :) 

Edited by Trooper_D

7 minutes ago, Trooper_D said:

Nice job, Alli - well worth the effort! Have you tried it on, yet :) 

Erm to lie or not to lie....yes I've tried it on and I have a Coldstream tunic that may or may not have been worn at the same time just to see the full effect :blush::D

Lovely work, Squadron Girl!  Thanks for sharing the results of your brave efforts.  Now, of course, if anyone else destroys a priceless vintage headdress we'll know who to blame!  :D

I wonder if the use of multiple 'WD' stamps on the actual skin is merely a reflection of the military compulsion to label everything, often, or a signal that there was in fact a market for stolen bears in Victorian London? 

Edited by peter monahan

Hey, it was already destroyed, I have merely brought it back to life :D. I couldn't leave it in that state. Well I could but it would have made me weep every time I looked at it. Poor thing. Priceless?:lol: it was less than £50, it needed me! 

And the first option I would think. I like those stamps, those stamps kept me going when my fingers were bleeding. The pain, the misery.....

Alli

Oh dear can you imagine if I posted a selfie of that on the other forum? I'd never live it down! :blush: I have to say I have a Grenadier Guards not 2 Dress Jacket that is very difficult to not want to wear all the time, it's sooo smart :love: I have the forage cap too so could do a whole Guards themed selfie shoot:D

I have another little headdress project underway I'll post it on both forums when its complete, thankfully not as drastic, other than the purchase of a very expensive badge that will hopefully be with me today or Monday, and a little bit of sewing.

5 minutes ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

go on... be a sport!

I will send a photo of Jerry B in a gasmask in exchange!

Wow tempting, I bet Jerry would love that.

Chris I fear a bare skin bearskin pic might crash the forum you'll just have to use your imagination love ;)