News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Generalleutnant Eduard Freiherr von Neukirchen gen. Nyvenheim

Hi,

you can´t open it online. It´s just to let you know that it exists in the said archive. What it is is his pensions payments to his widow. You will find his exact date of death and probably his career stations within the Prussian army in it, if you decide to access the file in person or have it accessed by somebody else.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Hi all!

After research on the net proved unsatisfactory, I took some time to do research in the "real world".

This is what I came up with:

Eduard Freiherr v. Neukirchen gen. v. Nyvenheim

*01.11.1857 in Berent, Westpreußen

†21.06.1918 Eisenach (Thuringa)

Father: Gustav, Freiherr v. N. †1878 Oberstlt. z.D.

Mother: Marie Braune † 1900

Schools: Gymnasium Düsseldorf, then Kadetten-Korps.

married 22.11.1899 mit Klara v. d. Mosel *10.05.1869

Children: Hilde, Ilse, Gustav (*1903), Gertrud

Military career:

15.4.1875 as Leutnant in Feld-Artillerie-Regiment 7 (FAR 7); 1886 Oberleutnant; 1887 Adjutant of 4. FAR Brigade, 1890 Hauptmann a la suite of FAR 5; 1890 Batterie Chef in 2. Garde Feld-Artillerie-Regiment; 1898 Major and Abteilungs Kommandeur, 1899 Major and Abt. Kdr. in 4. Garde FAR, 1904 Kommandeur of this regiment; 1905 Oberstleutnant; 11.09. 1907 Oberst, 1911 GenMajor. Stems from arch-aristocratic family from lower Rhein area. 20.04.1909-18.10.1913 Kommandeur 19 Art. Brigade.

Unfortunately I have no infos on his service record from 1914-18.

Nevertheless hope to have helped you a little.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

The ribbon bar does not match. Neukirchen gen. v. Nyvenheim had both the Red Eagle and the Crown Order around the neck, not on the ribbon bar. As Rick L used to note, one of the big clues for general's ribbon bars was the absence of certain ribbons because they had been "bumped up" to neck or sash awards.  

Also, Neukirchen gen. v. Nyvenheim had the 1897 Erinnerungsmedaille an den Einzug des Grafregenten Ernst from Lippe-Detmold.  

Your ribbon bar is more likely an Oberstleutnant or Major with the RAO4 and KO3.

That is what I have, Dave.

He is listed in the Ehrenrangliste as having been inactive in 1914.

First mention for activitiy in the war 1916 as artillery commander in "Formationsgeschichte und Stellenbesetzung der deutschen Streitkräfte 1815-1991". There as Kdr. Arko 128. HOWEVER: The ARKO 128 (as all ARKOs of the first wave) was instituted officially not until 17.02.1917, the date that Neukirchen was replaced by GL Karl Ludwig Gustav Hellwig. So there´s a discrepancy there that I stumbled on. My guess is that v. Neukirchen was Kdr. of the predecessor of ARKO 128, the FAR 96, helped establish the new organisational form and then left. ARKO 128 was part of he 1. Landwehrdivision, by the way.

GreyC

I have one possibility for the ribbon bar:

August v. Geyso (1.3.1861-24.2.1935); in 1914 an Oberst and Kdr. Gren.Regt. Nr. 10.  Ended the war as a Generalleutnant.  From Wegman, we have the following commands: 

• 5.3.13-7.11.14 Kdr. GR 10
    • 4.4.15 Fhr. 21.IB
    • 6.6.17-8.10.17 Kdr. 50.RIB
    • 8.10.17-14.12.17 Kdr. 28.RD
    • 20.4.18 Kdr. stellv.78.IB

In the 1914 rank list, he has: RAO4, KO3, DA, HEK2b, OV3a, HSH2b, JZ3, ÖEK3, TM2.  The HEK2b, HSH2b, JZ3 and TM2 are all neck orders, so that leaves the RAO4, KO3, DA, OV3a, ÖEK3 and the Centenary (not listed in rank lists) for his ribbon bar.  He certainly received the Iron Cross.  His only other known wartime awards are swords to his HSH2b and the Austro-Hungarian Military Merit Cross 2nd Class with War Decoration, which was also a neck order.

So the ribbon bar matches, unless he received some other wartime awards we do not know about.  It is odd that someone with that many commands did not receive a Crown Order 2nd Class with Swords, but maybe he wasn't a very good commander.  He apparently was not with the 28.RD long enough to get a Baden award.

So he is that odd general who did not get his Red Eagle and/or Crown Orders bumped up to the neck.

Edited by Dave Danner

Hi Dave ,

Thank you very very much for your research:D

Excellent Work!

Best regards,

Nicolas

PS: It would have been interesting to know if he got the same bar with the hindenburg cross .

Edited by Nicolas7507

• 1 month later...

I found 3 pictures of him. One with his medal bar :o But there is one unknown decoration to make it a perfect match.

It looks like a Hohenzollern with the Peace Ribbon?

It can't be him.... or did he got an upgrade to neck order?

Best regards,

Nicolas

AvG 1.png

AvG 3.png

Landesarchiv_Baden-Wuerttemberg_Hauptstaatsarchiv_Stuttgart_M_707_Nr._460_Bild_2_(1-326456-2).jpg

Edited by Nicolas7507

• 3 months later...

If von Geyso did not get the HEK2a it cant be our man, because the HEK2b is NOT a Neck Order and can be seen on the 3rd Picture I posted

Best Regards,

Nicolas

Edited by Nicolas7507

The order in the photo is indeed the HEK2b. I mis-wrote above that this was a neck order, but as you note, the HEK2a was a neck order. So the ribbon bar is not a match, unless he got an upgrade of his HEK2b to a 2a, removing it from the ribbon bar. I have no information one way or another, especially since that award continued (continues?) to be awarded after the war.