News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Glory 3rd class Senior Sargent Zagorodsky

So got research today, for the group of Senior Sargent Zagorodsky:

He was member of the 28th Guards Airborne Rifle Regiment which belongs to the 9th Guards Airborne Division;

5th Guards Army.

He took part in crossing the river Vistula (weichsel) and the river Oder. He earned both awards in Poland.

Edited by Alfred

Order of Glory 3rd class S/N: 633.159

On 13.01.1945 during the assault on the city of Busko-Zdrui, Comrade Zagorodsky supported the offensive of the 3rd Rifle Bataillon, repeatedly moving his gun forward the infantry, as a result his gun supressed two enemy maschinegun positions thus, supporting the successful advance of the infantry. In this battle he scattered the unit and destroyed as many as 10 Hitlerites.

On 20.01.1945 during the capture of the city Rosenberg (polnisch Olesno), in position inconvenient for moving the gun and under heavy enemy maschinegun fire, he and his crew pushed the gun forward of the infantry and from an open firing position, supressed the fire of an enemy maschinegun position and killed as many as 10 Hitlerites.

On 23.01.1945 during the forced river crossing of the Oder, Zagorodsky and his crew were the first to overcome the water and other obstacles, set up their gun, and covered the infantry crossing the river with plunging fire. During this fighting Comrade Zagorodsky was seriously wounded.

Edited by Alfred

• 1 year later...

Today I got the research for the bravery medal to Senior Sargent Zagorodsky s/n: 1.737.508.

In a few days I will have the translation of the text.

As what I understand was the bravery medal for a fight near Podkostelie village. He was nominated for a Order of Glory, but it was downgraded in the chain of command to a bravery medal. This would have been his second Order of Glory :-(

Edited by Alfred

Guest Rick Research

He was "wounded in action but refused to leave the field of battle" which is very common in Soviet-- and Tsarist--citations. :beer:

This is great stuff, Alfred! So, no mention of a Partisan medal in the research?

No, only the Order of Glory and the Bravery medal are mentioned in the award card.

Bravery Medal S/N: 1.737.508 was awarded to Senior Sargent Zagorodsky 27.09.1944

Edited by Alfred

Here is a short summary of the russian text:

The battalion had the order to secure a (river-) dam in the area of the little town Podkostelje. Senior Sargent Zagorodsky was appointed as a dispatcher and brought important news to his commander and was wounded. He refused to leave the battlefield.

Sadly, I was not able to find the town in a map. I only found the town Podkostrze. Maybe the names changed?

Edited by Alfred

Hi Alfred,

Although not immediately relevant to this award, I am going to email to you a couple of photos from the present-day Kirovograd (it's in the chain Kremenchug-Aleksandriya-Kirovgrad your hero went through and it just happens to be the town I grew up in). Feel free to treat it just as a curiosity.

Sergei