News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 1 month later...

Hi Gents

The image is of the Greek God Hermes, also called Mercury by the Romans.

he carried a winged rod which was entwined with two snakes. This is often confused with, as very similar to, the medical symbol but that has no wings.

i thought maybe the right of the badge showed part of his staff (snake heads) but I cannot find a design that would fit it. Other guess is it's the curved bow of an ancient sail ship

If I had to guess I would say....

Hermes above/on a boat with sea and shoreline in the background.

-----///---

A shame it's not one of these!

IMG_3694.thumb.PNG.0926782fd3465df21f1ab497791c579b.PNG

tony

3 hours ago, The Prussian said:

That´s interesting!

It looks similar. Do you know, what Handel stands for?

The description for the Handel piece says - French , 20th century signed by Handel.

Typically... Because of the composer Handel having a famous statue made by a Frenchman -google isn't helping me find more of him in English... there were German language results I couldn't read though.  Luckily you can though!? I was searching 'Handel artist Hermes'

So Sir in answer to your question...

Handel is the signature of the artist.

let me know if you find him!

cheers tony

Hermes or Mercury was very popular in the beginning of 20th century. Lot of merchant organizations carried his name. For example  pin of "Croatian merchant society"(literal translation):

20170711201822535394.jpg.768x0px.jpg

Handel in German means trade, trading, commerce, business..... so this tinny is probably of merchant marine or some organization close to sea trade.And production of these types of badges, nevermind the theme, was also very popular in that period. 

You are all probably familiar with this Abzeichen:

01039q00-630x_.jpg

It is Austro-hungarian Kappenabzeichen but A-U never had any Handel U-boots like Germans did.

Edited by Von Thronstahl

I'm learning German one word at a time!

Handel means trade or similar... and is a name.

Your U-boot badge (which I like!) has an image of Hermes... And the word Handel. in your case clearly it is not the signature of the 'designer' but applies to the subject of the badge.

Seems a coincidence the two appearing together again when I've only just found a first. 

The item in the pic I found is 'worth' 15grand so it would be accurately described? Attributed to a man called Handel. Thst is not part of the design in this case surely?

-----/----//-//

as always the more you look for answers the more questions you have!!

tony

7 hours ago, Farkas said:

The item in the pic I found is 'worth' 15grand so it would be accurately described? Attributed to a man called Handel. Thst is not part of the design in this case surely?

About that one you found, I am sure that Handel is not authors name. I´ve never seen author whose signature is big as 1/3 of his work. 

And their description is too general so I conclude they know nothing about this relief.

Just my 2 cents.

2 hours ago, Von Thronstahl said:

About that one you found, I am sure that Handel is not authors name. I´ve never seen author whose signature is big as 1/3 of his work. 

And their description is too general so I conclude they know nothing about this relief.

Just my 2 cents.

Cold lighting day and now I agree trade! Just looked at their site and as you say they have no idea who the artist is. An incomplete 'artist profile' with just Handel. 

Thanks for clearing that up.

sorry for the red herring....!

tony